Thread: Attention Nerds!

Default Attention Nerds!

I have some older server chassis that have been retired - replaced with more compact units.

I know some of you guys have data centers in your garages and other silliness.

One chassis is a Dell 2500, the other is a Compaq ML370.

The Dell is redundant power. The Compaq has 3, count 'em THREE power supplies.

They are available immediately without spindles for whatever you consider an appropriate donation to my Livestrong fund.

The drives (SCSI, not very big, slower than you'd get with modern SATA and an add-in card) could be made available, but not any time soon as they're locked away pending wipe.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

...and in English this means WHAT!!!!!!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    ...and in English this means WHAT!!!!!!
    If for some reason you need the reliability of redundant power supplies in cases that can house a LOT of hard drives with LOTS of fans and don't need a recent processor, I have some great door stops for you. I'm not sure either will fit in the trunk of a Miata.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

A ML370 tower can fit in the trunk of a Miata, fyi.

Driver

Be aware that you can't watch TV over the sound of these beasts. That ringing in your ears won't ever go away either

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    Be aware that you can't watch TV over the sound of these beasts. That ringing in your ears won't ever go away either
    Did you say something??? Cuz I could see your lips moving just then... Actually... the 2500 chassis would make a nice stand for a flat screen TV... wouldn't have to worry about it getting knocked over...

Quote Originally Posted by wrxmr2eater View Post
    A ML370 tower can fit in the trunk of a Miata, fyi.
    I'm sorry that you know that.

The cases also make good radiation shielding in case you are worried about a nuclear attack.

a ML370 with only 1 power supply plugged in will also increase the temperature of a small room in a Texas home more than 20 degrees. Plug in more than 1 power supply and prepare for a sauna.

Default Opinions are like... well, you know...

Can you guys just let the man get rid of his equipment? If someone knows what this is, they'll already know all the "pluses and minuses".
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Can you guys just let the man get rid of his equipment? If someone knows what this is, they'll already know all the "pluses and minuses".
    This is actually a lot of fun... I'm afraid it's not going anywhere until my shoulder heals and I can lift it myself, though...

You're not supposed to fall off of the bike...
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    You're not supposed to fall off of the bike...
    Dammit! If only I'd known that last week! I think the torn tendon is finally healing properly.

Drinking and riding again?

I'm surprised someone here hasn't collected enough of those old computer systems to build a house.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    Drinking and riding again?

I'm surprised someone here hasn't collected enough of those old computer systems to build a house.
    Not as surprised as I am that person isn't you...