Thread: Clear Moble Net

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Default Clear Moble Net

My laptop now has 6mbs in all the green areas, gray is coming soon. it's cheaper then my cable i have at home and the building i'm in is from 20s so all the wiring sucks and my latency blows on cable. It's a grate upgrade so far.

You should check the map supplied on the Sprint site. It will give you a much finer look at the coverage within that green area. I had it for about a week. It worked extremely well at work in the Uptown area. Coverage is pretty strong there, even in buildings. On the west side of the metro, it was extremely spotty. I'd have decent coverage here, but 1-2 blocks away would have zero coverage, even within the green space. The week I signed up we had a lot of rain, and being that the edge of coverage, it became pretty weak, or useless.

That said, just be aware of the real coverage. When it was working, I found it to be very fast and quite reliable (within that connected space). I was able to stream RT video driving my car to a buddy over Skype and he said he was getting 15-18fps reliably from me, with no audio delay. Not bad for mobile. Then it would just disconnect. I dropped it, will be waiting until I could rely on it a bit more.
    Bryan
    1991 Mariner Blue | I Hate Everything

we have one test account set up at work, haven't had a problem yet. will see when my hardware is here monday. ATT is also trying it downtown but it drops ever few mins.

just remembered att and verizon charge you for useing more then 2gb of data or something stupid like that on 1/2 there plans.

I got my equipment for free!!!

I had the Xohm equipment and had it swapped out for the Clear equipment last month. I have tested it with anywhere from 3.3mbs up to 8.5mbs download and anywhere from 0.46 to 1.6mbs upload speeds.

Purchase it on the Clear website. It's $5 cheaper at $50 for the pick 2.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

i have the 2 pack, 1 home 1 mobile for $50, it's the 6mb unlimited burst. also social engineering got me all the fees waved with out the 2 your contract so that covers the free equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_man View Post
    i have the 2 pack, 1 home 1 mobile for $50, it's the 6mb unlimited burst. also social engineering got me all the fees waved with out the 2 your contract so that covers the free equipment.
    Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I have the month to month contract, $50 for life. Sprint started the Wimax network in Baltimore under the Xohm name and sold it to Clearwire in December of 2008. They just recently took the Xohm name totally off the Baltimore area. Funny thing is, The towers in Dallas have been active for over a year.

What is the ping like on something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    What is the ping like on something like this?
    Not as good as my DSL, but better than what I got out of the cable modem back when I had Comcast a couple of years ago.

Last edited by Radio-Active; 12-20-2009 at 04:25 AM.

I was pretty happy with the speed from the home unit, but the USB device (WiMax only) is the one that we had the most trouble with. I read on a ton of WiMax and Sprint user forums, that the Sprint card (U320) is the one to have. If you get it from either Clear or Sprint, you of course have to sign up for a Sprint Data plan to switch to 3G when 4G is not available, but the hardware is supposed to be much better, more reliable and a better antenna. I never tested it, though. I was researching buying one outright when I decided to ditch the service until it's been online in the area longer. It just went 'live' Nov 1.
    Bryan
    1991 Mariner Blue | I Hate Everything