Thread: Need help w/ turn signal diag...

Default Need help w/ turn signal diag...

My turn signals are messed up. The driver side goes faster and the passenger front parking lamp burned out twice, even after putting a new bulb in. All the other bulbs are good and work. I am not good with electrical issues so I need some help. If I didn't have my SM being stored near Hallett, I could just take the flasher from it to see if that works...its dealer only and Mazda wants $70 at cost with my discount through work! Anyone have any ideas, a flasher I can borrow or want to swing my my place Wed and take a stab at it?!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Chassis Designer

Usually the directional indicators flash faster when resistance is lessened in the circuit (like a burnt out bulb in the rear), but you've already stated that all the other lights work. Do you have a source (factory repair manual) to reference to determine if the bulbs that do work are the correct ones for each socket? Electrical problems can be tough, and yours sounds much different than what I've encountered. Just for grins, you might try attaching a new ground wire between the frame and the battery (even a temporary wire with alligator clips might help). Just a guess.

You could also have the wrong type of bulb in one of them on the drivers side... just because the bulb fits the socket, doesn't mean it's the right bulb. You should have 1157A's in the Front and 1156's in the Rear.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

So prior to the pass side bulb buring out did the passenger side opperate correctly?
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Weird thing is it has been wired this way with the side markers for years & it started this after removing the turn signal housings when it was painted. I double checked the wires & disconnected where I had the power wire spiced into for DRL. Seems to be working for now but the driver turn signal still goes too fast sometimes, so I'm thinking it is the flasher.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66 View Post
    Seems to be working for now but the driver turn signal still goes too fast sometimes, so I'm thinking it is the flasher.
    If the flasher only flashes fast sometimes I bet you have a bad bulb. I had this happen on my OTM and it turned out to be a bulb. On the other side I would look for a grounded out wire.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami