Thread: IA to DFW

Default IA to DFW

Just drove down from Iowa on Friday. I'll be starting work at TI on Monday. I bought a '92 Miata almost 2 years ago now. The fiance liked it so much that I picked up one for her too, a '94. Both are red.

Did some maintenance work before making the trip. Figured I would be without a garage for a while. Details here: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=464398

I've done a few AX days and had a blast. I'm looking to step up to some sticky tires and a little wider wheels. Been drooling over the Xida CS setup, but I can't justify that kinda ching even from the sparkling reviews. Would love to catch a ride if anyone has a set or suggestions for a suspension setup.

Finally, I've been scanning for apartments in the area North of Dallas (within 20min of 635/75 intersection). There seems to be a huge selection, almost overwhelming. If anyone has suggestions that would be much appreciated. Looking for less than $900/month, and a garage would be a huge bonus

Some pictures:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1138057...eat=directlink

Last edited by breck; 07-22-2012 at 07:56 AM.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Welcome to DFW. Where in Iowa are you from....my wife is originally from there. See you at an AX soon!

Breck, I was born and raised in Des Moines. Sign up for the next BMW Autocross (http://www.dfwmiata.com/threads/2275...-Mineral-Wells) and I'll give you a ride w/ some Xidas. I'm still slow, but it will give you an idea of how they feel.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Welcome. Hope to see you at an autocross soon. Have fun with your Miata.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Welcome. Don't forget to check out www.dfwautocross.com to see a calendar of all the AX events in the DFW area.

Concerning an apt location, you need to be careful. There are some sketchy areas just south and east of TI, for example where Forest Ln meets 635.
    In the Forest Ln - I75 (Central Expressway) area there are some places just west of I75 that look pretty good.

You are looking for something within 20 minutes, then I suggest the Richardson and Plano areas. There are some new apartments next to the TI Richardson near Alma and TX190. It is a pretty good complext. My buddy's mother in law lives in one of the complex.

Welcome to Texas and Dfwmiata.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Welcome to DFW. Where in Iowa are you from....my wife is originally from there. See you at an AX soon!

I'm from Waukee, a suburb of Des Moines. Graduated from Iowa State in Electrical Engineering so this is my first time really living outside of the state (minus a short summer in Boston that ended with a broken humerus but that's a whole other story)

Quote Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
    Breck, I was born and raised in Des Moines. Sign up for the next BMW Autocross (http://www.dfwmiata.com/threads/2275...-Mineral-Wells) and I'll give you a ride w/ some Xidas. I'm still slow, but it will give you an idea of how they feel.

Awesome! I'd be happy to take you up on that. I just signed up, #91. I picked E as my class. Not sure if that's right. I think with the suspension I have (NB hard S bilsteins) I'm supposed to be in STS, but I couldn't find that option. Also, it only charged me $30 but I'm not a member and left the member area blank.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Welcome. Don't forget to check out www.dfwautocross.com to see a calendar of all the AX events in the DFW area.

Added to my bookmarks, thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by VFR750 View Post
    Concerning an apt location, you need to be careful. There are some sketchy areas just south and east of TI, for example where Forest Ln meets 635.
    In the Forest Ln - I75 (Central Expressway) area there are some places just west of I75 that look pretty good.

Yeah, I had heard that staying west of 75 would be the best plan since I'm new to the area. I'm in a pretty nice place just south/west of 635/75 (Churchill on the Park). It's a gated complex and feels pretty safe. Unfortunately, it comes with an upscale price tag for what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by gptwins View Post
    You are looking for something within 20 minutes, then I suggest the Richardson and Plano areas. There are some new apartments next to the TI Richardson near Alma and TX190. It is a pretty good complext. My buddy's mother in law lives in one of the complex.

Do you know if that's Prairie Creek (south of 190) or Creekwood (north of 190)? Prairie Creek looks really nice and has garages available. I'll be sure to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    Welcome to Texas and Dfwmiata.

I see you managed to get to 250k on your Miata. Congrats! I'm shooting for that mark before a rebuild + FI. Just about to turn over 157k.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome! Btw my name is Jeremy. Please stop by and say hi if you see me at any events, and I'll try to do the same.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Here is the classing rules for non-BMW cars for the LSCBMW autocrosses. E is a BMW class, your Miata will be in X.

Non-BMWs
    Non-BMW classes are X thru Z and placement is based on manufacturers’ published engine displacement specifications. Engine displacement is rounded to the nearest tenth of a liter. For example, 2,948cc = 2.9L, whereas 2,950cc = 3.0L.
    § A forced induction displacement multiplier of 1.5 is applied to all non-BMW turbocharged and supercharged engines. For example, a 2.0L turbo engine is classified as a 2.0L X 1.5 = 3.0L engine. This multiplier applies whether the forced induction is done by the original manufacturer or installed as an aftermarket upgrade.
    § Rotary engines are assessed a displacement multiplier of 2.0. For example, a 1.3L rotary engine is classified as a 1.3L X 2.0 = 2.6L engine
    NOTE: Rotary engines that have forced induction are assessed both displacement multipliers. For example, a 1.3L turbo rotary engine is classified as 1.3L X 1.5 X 2 = 3.9L

Class X: Non-BMW vehicles less than 2.1 liters (except S2000 and Lotus Elise)
    Class Y: Non-BMW vehicles greater than 2.1 liters and less than 4.0 liters. (including S2000 & Elise)
    Class Z : Non-BMW vehicles 4.0 liters and above

The use of “R” compound or “slick” tires on a Non-BMW moves the vehicle up to the next higher class.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by breck View Post
    I'll be starting work at TI on Monday.
    Welcome to the Metromess... I too work at TI. Which building are you going to be in? I'm at the South Campus, just off Forrest and TI Blvd.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Doh, was thinkin SCCA. Looks like someone already fixed it for me on the sign up.

Dave, I'll be working in DMOS6 at the North Campus.