Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I have a plan, I need Help!!!

Default I have a plan, I need Help!!!

Well, after thinking about it for 2 days continually, I think I know what I want to do, rebuild with 9:1 stock pistons.

Here is my logic. The cheapest I am seeing motors for is $400-550ish. If I use one of these it is a throw of the dice. JDM's are closer to $1000.

To rebuild a motor with forged parts is $2K-ish... $550- pistons / $700 rods. This is either using Miata specific pistons or Honda pistons and rods machined to work. This would be the bullit proof setup for 250-280 WHP.

My goal has been and remains right now 220-230WHP, a stock bottom end from a 94-97 car takes this without complaining, and you dont have tremendous trany issues at these levels either.

Stock Mazda pistons (oversized .5mm) are like $41/each, stock rods are $50/set from Flyin Miata. That is about a $1000 hardware savings off of aftermarket forged. So the rebuild goes down to sub $1000, assuming nothing is catastrophically hurt. A little more if I have to find a crank or block or have the head reworked.

I would like to pull the motor this weekend and take it apart, can anyone help this weekend?

So what do you all think?

Chris

I might be able to help for part of the day Saturday. Sunday is Equipe Rapide.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I might be able to help for part of the day Saturday. Sunday is Equipe Rapide.
    Ditto.

This just happens to be one of the rare instances these days that I am going to be in town. I have a few things to do around the house on Saturday morning, but I should be free in the afternoon and most of the day Sunday.

I don't have any engine stands or a cherry picker, but I am fairly well versed in their use. Let me know if there are any other tools that you could use or need.

I've got a party Saturday night, then ER on Sunday, but I'll try and get by earlier in the day, and I'll bring some tools. PM me your info so I can find you.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

The guy in the white miata with the big wheels (at the track this weekend) offered an engine stand, so I am going to call him on that. Worst comes to worse, I can rent the picker for the weekend. I called and it is 30/day, but if you get it on Saturday, you dont have to return until monday if its from one of the big National Rent stores.

I cleaned the garage for 1/2 hour in prep, so it is in good order.

If anyone has an air compressor and an impact wrench that might make getting the back bolts off easier, but I will get a cheater bar and some wobbly extentions...

I will try to pull the radiator tomorrow and start on some of the other stuff.

What kind of soft drinks/beers? If no suggestions, I will have tap water and low fat milk available.... (Majik) Pizza will be served for lunch.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Kags1969
    The guy in the white miata with the big wheels (at the track this weekend) offered an engine stand, so I am going to call him on that. Worst comes to worse, I can rent the picker for the weekend. I called and it is 30/day, but if you get it on Saturday, you dont have to return until monday if its from one of the big National Rent stores.

I cleaned the garage for 1/2 hour in prep, so it is in good order.

If anyone has an air compressor and an impact wrench that might make getting the back bolts off easier, but I will get a cheater bar and some wobbly extentions...

I will try to pull the radiator tomorrow and start on some of the other stuff.

What kind of soft drinks/beers? If no suggestions, I will have tap water and low fat milk available.... (Majik) Pizza will be served for lunch.

Chris
    I'd like an address. Dunno if I can swing by on Saturday but I will try. Sorry. No air compressor. It's on my wish list though! I dig Dr. Pepper but I can supply my own.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I can probably come early Saturday. I have to be back on this side of town by 3 or so though. What time are we going to start?

I've got a 4 hp, 11 gal. compressor and an impact wrench... and access to a 4Runner this Saturday to bring them out.

What kind of soft drinks/beers? If no suggestions, I will have tap water and low fat milk available....
    Low fat milk?

Dr. Pepper and Shiner work for me, but I can supply my own.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I'll be working at TMS on Saturday, ER at MW on Sunday. However, I have an air compressor that works off 110, about a 30 gallon tank, etc. If someone wants to stop by and pick it up, I'll be happy to lend it for the occasion. Let me know...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    I can probably come early Saturday. I have to be back on this side of town by 3 or so though. What time are we going to start?
    I am thinking 9. I have to go get the cherry picker in the morning, so I will be back by 9 at the latest.

Thanks for the offer on the compresso Oz, looks like Altiain has one as well, so we are covered there. Sorry your gonna miss it.

Hopefully we can have this thing out and apart on Sat, and I can take it to the builder on Monday.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I've got a 4 hp, 11 gal. compressor and an impact wrench... and access to a 4Runner this Saturday to bring them out.

What kind of soft drinks/beers? If no suggestions, I will have tap water and low fat milk available....
    Low fat milk?

Dr. Pepper and Shiner work for me, but I can supply my own.
    I will get DP, Coke and Ginger ale as well as Shiner and coors light. Majik just had milk and water for us when we swapped the head, although his GF did go and get us some coke...hehehe

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Wink

Majik just had milk and water for us when we swapped the head, although his GF did go and get us some coke...hehehe
    I never did get that tuna sandwich!

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    I never did get that tuna sandwich!
    Yea where was that Tuna Sandwich!

Sunday is my Anniversary, and since I will be in Mineral Wells on Sunday, I'm thinking it would be smart for me to stay home Saturday.

One of these days I will have the dang house finished so I can help ya'll out. I've done just about everything you can imagine on Miatas, have a lift, tranny jack, compressor, bunches of tools, AND shop manuals.......in a 50x50 barn! I miss tech days.....used to do several a year, back in the early days (1991-1999).
    Merv
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    One of these days I will have the dang house finished so I can help ya'll out. I've done just about everything you can imagine on Miatas, have a lift, tranny jack, compressor, bunches of tools, AND shop manuals.......in a 50x50 barn! I miss tech days.....used to do several a year, back in the early days (1991-1999).
    Merv
    You'd find several of us who would take you up on that offer! <drool> a lift... </drool>

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    You'd find several of us who would take you up on that offer! <drool> a lift... </drool>
    Yeah, no kidding!!

So get to it man! Need a hand?

Merv,

Is this some Huck Finn ploy to get us to white wash your fense?
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast