Thread: "Tires is what wins a race"

Default "Tires is what wins a race"

When should all the new tires for this season hit the market? I can't find anything for my Z. I was hoping to go the extra 20mm in width that should fit on my stock rims. However I can't even find the stock tire size.

Hard to say. They have to be available in the min numbers and sizes for SCCA by sometime in April in order to be eligible for use in Solo Nationals, so definitely before then. Otherwise, run what you've got and pre-order what you want, if it is listed. A call to Rudy at Tire Rack or Todd at DT should at least get you on a notification list.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Anyone have any experience with the Dunlap Direzza ZII Star Spec? How do they handle the Texas heat?

Quote Originally Posted by BatoLoco13 View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the Dunlap Direzza ZII Star Spec? How do they handle the Texas heat?
    Curious about this also as I'm considering a set for my street tires.
    '92 LS3

Have had a couple set of the 15" Dunlap Direzza ZII Star Spec on our '02 they are a good all around tire. They are even reasonable in the rain as long as it isn't near freezing. Summer performance tires and winter don't mix well. They do pretty well playing Autocross as well (think there are better choices but they will hold their own).

Star Specs have historically been one of the better all-around performers among the top autox tires. The Z2's seemed to handle heat a little better than previous versions, but are not as heat-loving as RS3 and XS'. Especially on a heavier car, expect to spray them at summer events to keep them in the sweet spot. Nice stiff sidewall.
    Polished Turd Racing

Thanks all. The RS3's have finally come out in my stock size. However I have read a couple of things that say the Version 2 are not as good as the original version. TireRack has a test out there as well that show's the Z2's outperformed the RS3's. But they were not testing in our Summer Heat.

Considering all of the DFW clubs are sticking with 140TW for this season my recommendation would be to save money and run the Federals.
    Last edited by Davidss; 01-15-2015 at 02:56 PM.

David, is SCCA allowing 140 in Street and ST? I know NTAXS is, but ER is 200+ except in the stand-alone Tire index class.
    Polished Turd Racing

Yes, I went to the last SCCA meeting with the tire proposal and they voted in favor of allowing 140TW for this season. At the next ER meeting I was planning on suggesting that ER follow suit.

Yeah, we discussed it and the BOD wanted to follow the national trend. I may propose that we allow 140's for the first 2-3 events if supply is an issue. Will keep the forum updated.
    Polished Turd Racing

Good idea. Toyo has said mid april for 195/15 r1rs with the 200twr stamping. TR is out of v2 kooks in 15 with none til mid april. And no word on the revised BFG. V2 kook is being praised as a step forward from v1 with respect to solo. Sad thing is 225/45/15 is currently not on the list
    195s have a nice footprint based on the set we acquired. Have not had time to compare them to the old r1r yet. That will come next month when i dig the car out of the corner of the shop.

I am going to give the Federals a try for cooler events. I know the RS3 V2 are still really bad under 60deg. $530 shipped for Corvette sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Summer performance tires and winter don't mix well.
    Must be a RWD thing.... the Focus is manageable on ice as long as I go easy on it.... if I hit boost, that's another story......lol DOOHHHHHNUUUUTS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]