Thread: 99 Miata top replacement

Tire Warmer

Default 99 Miata top replacement

My convertible top was sliced open in a break in and then, a hail storm ripped it to pieces. So, I am trying to figure out what top to order and where I should take it to be installed. I've read that Robbins tops are the best. My next question is which replacement should I buy. My original top was vinyl. I know I want the glass with defroster since that is what I have now.

Recommendations?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Robbins Streamline is what I put on mine last year. I have the glass window, but no defrost.

I got mine on Ebay. You can DIY if you take your time...plenty of good write-ups to be found.

you can have Mike McShane install it

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^ OZMDD is his forum name.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I also got a Robbins top. For my '94M, I got the zipped plastic window. I also have a M1 roll bar with a harness bar, so I can not use a glass window. A friend helped me install it. It can be a DIY project.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

I do the top install for $200 labor if you provide the top. I can also order tops directly at a discount and give you a package price installed. I have core frames that I use to install the top in-advance, then it is a simple one hour process to remove your old top frame and install the new one. I will keep your old frame as a new core.

Bear in mind that if the tension cables are broken or the rain rail is worn out, those items also need to be ordered and installed to have a properly fitting and weatherproof top.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

New cables always. Cheap insurance

Agreed. Get cables and rain rail.

I put a Robbins cloth top with glass window on my 02. It looks great. The fit was reeeeeally tight for the first few weeks but now it is fine. You *can* do it yourself (I did), but $200 is pretty cheap for the amount of work/frustration.

Lots of tops are just fine. It also depends on the rest of your car. I've seen POS Miatas (no offense, POS) that I almost wouldn't bother putting a top onto in the first place. If your car is in good shape, a nicer top will dress it up.

Can you tell me how much the package price would be for a 2008?

06-14 tops are much more involved to remove from the car and reinstall, and they are all glass window w/ defrost. There are a few top choices, but the least expensive option I've found would be around $650 installed for a black vinyl Robbins Xt.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^I have a 'spare' NC soft-top frame I'd be willing to sell. That way you could install the new top off the car.