Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Consumption?

Exclamation Oil Consumption?

I use Mobil 1 10W30 fully synthetic and last changed the oil about 4K miles ago. I did a change this morning using a full four quarts again. The problem is this: when I moved to put the used oil into the old quart containers, I only filled two quarts! I put in four last time...

The BUR hasn't been marking it's territory nor have I seen any big leaks. Using 2 quarts of oil over 4K miles seems a bit much... any clue as to why it's disappearing so?

I've had a variety of leaks, none of which produced puddles but all of which consumed oil steadily. The main seal leaking slowly drips oil when the engine is running, which cakes your oil pan and transmission with sludge. The CAS O-ring leaking (like wot mine is) leaks oil all over the heater hoses, which rot and begin leaking coolant. The camshalf seals leaking spreads oil inside the timing covers (I'm hoping mine aren't leaking).

Anyway, a lot of leaks only occur when the engine's running, because of pressure + moving parts. When you're driving, the oil is dispersed away from the leak location, hence no puddle and some issue with finding the leak!
    "Get to Heaven half an hour before the devil knows your dead"

www.myspace.com/theelectrics

Not to hijack the thread, Bean, but I gotta get the '93 to quit leaking soon. I'm gonna replace the dipstick seal this week on both Miatas -- that should stop the '96 leaks completely -- but I'm concerned that it might be leaking from elsewhere as well. Well, I guess I'll know for sure this weekend.

C

While that's on the high side Bean, it's not necessarily excessive.

Higher mileage engines will typically consume more oil. That's just a fact of life and a byproduct of engine wear, which occurs over time regardless of how fastidious your maintenance schedule is. Personally, I'm less concerned about oil consumption than I am about how the engine performs - as long as it continues to pull hard and make good power, I can live with a little oil consumption.

At 105,000 miles, my car consumes about a quart of oil every 2500 miles or so (Mobil 1, 5w40). Part of it is burnt - I'm pretty sure one of the reasons my car makes a bit more power on the dyno than a typical '99 is due to some "loose" tolerances in the engine.

The rest of it is weeped out - I've got a couple of seals that weep a bit, but my car never marks its territory... and I'm too lazy to change them.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

When I changed over to Mobil1 a few years ago, I noticed much higher oil "consumption". I was putting in a quart about every 500 miles! That got to be quite expensive, so I switched back to dino. Still consumes a bit more than I'd like, but it's bearable.
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Hey 3Bean if you open that big flap on the front of the car there is a little yellow handled stick for checking the oil. Give it a try every once in a while it's fun!

I check the oil whenever I fill up with gas, mainly because of my history of crappy cars! It's cheap insurance!

BTW> The POS doesn't burn a drop of oil during the 3,000 miles oil change interval!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    BTW> The POS doesn't burn a drop of oil during the 3,000 miles oil change interval!
    With the power you're putting out, I would imagine your engine is toleranced about as tight as it can get and still turn!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    With the power you're putting out, I would imagine your engine is toleranced about as tight as it can get and still turn!
    Smart ash!

HAHA

You probably have heard this before, but switch back to dino oil and go with a 10W40 weight. Consumption will go down. Synthetics always will leak more, but I love the stuff.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Don't feel bad POS, I was the lowest scoring NB at the Dyno-Day back in the spring. My little car only put out 105Hp whereas several of the more broken in ones were putting out around 118.

And it doesn't burn a drop of oil either...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I'll gladly trade a quart of synthetic every 2500 miles for my 123whp.
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    Don't feel bad POS, I was the lowest scoring NB at the Dyno-Day back in the spring. My little car only put out 105Hp whereas several of the more broken in ones were putting out around 118.

And it doesn't burn a drop of oil either...
    I'm not too worried about it since the POS holds it's own at most autocross events!

Imagine what I could do if I had some power!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Imagine what I could do if I had some power!
    If you'd ever get off your duff and buy an NB, we might find out!
    Iain

I just finished the oil change on the Honda and it too was a little short... 1 and 1/2 quarts. It's milage is also high - 153,899 to be exact. However, it uses dino oil.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Question

Question to the engineer types

If you start with 4 quarts in the pan, how much oil is in the pan of a Miata when it is turning 5,000 rpm? In other words, how little oil can you have before the oil pump starts blowing bubbles?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I just finished the oil change on the Honda and it too was a little short... 1 and 1/2 quarts. It's milage is also high - 153,899 to be exact. However, it uses dino oil.
    For the love of all things decent learn to check your oil Sparky!

Note to self: DO NOT buy a used car from 3Bean!
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Note to self: DO NOT buy a used car from 3Bean!
    No Doubt!

I'm thinking he saw the maintenance free sticker on the battery and just assumed it applied to the entire car!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast