Thread: It Really Works

Default It Really Works

My wife and I spent a few years in the Houston Porsche Club of America doing their work to drive program, working corners one weekend then driving in the Drivers Education the following weekend. Let me further preface this story by saying my wife is not the best driver. Just ask our garage, fence and numerous other people's bumpers.

So this Friday a deer jumped out in front of us while she was driving and doing about 60. She slammed on the breaks, got the ABS going, veered right - deer went right, veered left - deer went left. Kablooie!

Indeed we hit the deer but I was damn impressed. She did everything they pounded into her head there. Break heavy and immediately; no sharp, sudden movements. I think 80 percent of the populous would have yanked that wheel and left themselves upside down in a ditch.

I think any kind of high speed training is important for anyone who's planning to be on the highway. Getting a feel for a car at its limit lets you know what you can and can't do.

Please give autocross or something like this a try.

Autocrossing does indeed make you a better (more defensive driver) on the streets.
    No more Miata

Hope the car wasnt too messed up, glad to hear you guys are ok. I have definately learned alot about car control in the last season and a half of auto-x. I need to do one of those driver schools.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

What about the deer? No one interested in the well-being of the deer?!

Anyways, I'd be more pissed at the deer too. Hope the car is okay.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    What about the deer? No one interested in the well-being of the deer?!

Anyways, I'd be more pissed at the deer too. Hope the car is okay.
    He'll be having several hundred pounds of venison around freezer for a while...