Thread: National PAX

Default National PAX

I'm just curious, but do they have an overall pax at nationals like we do at divisionals? I mean someone could go in and multiply all the times by the pax numbers and figure it out, but is there an official one. Seems like it would be really close. Thanks
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

The SCCA sets the National PAX Index after the Solo II Nationals each year. The idea is to pretty much do what you are suggesting -- level the playing field between all the various classes on an indexed basis, and they use the top National Level drivers to set that index. Of course, many things change throughout the year, and PAX adjustments are never perfect. But I like the PAX Index and the ranking it provides -- gives me an idea of what kind of driver I really am against all the cars/drivers at an event.

For what it's worth, Equipe Rapide has the 2005 PAX posted on their website: clickie.
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    The SCCA sets the National PAX Index after the Solo II Nationals each year. The idea is to pretty much do what you are suggesting -- level the playing field between all the various classes on an indexed basis, and they use the top National Level drivers to set that index. Of course, many things change throughout the year, and PAX adjustments are never perfect. But I like the PAX Index and the ranking it provides -- gives me an idea of what kind of driver I really am against all the cars/drivers at an event.

For what it's worth, Equipe Rapide has the 2005 PAX posted on their website: clickie.
    Close, but not quite. From the Chicago Region SCCA website:

2005 PAX/RTP Index

"Racers Theoretical Performance"
    This Index was developed by Rick Ruth and reflects study of results from over 200 nationwide Solo II events including, the Tire Rack® Solo II National Championships, National Tour, Chicago Region, Houston Region, Milwaukee Region, New England Region, Northern New Jersey Region, Philadelphia Region, Southeast Divisional Series, San Francisco Region, San Diego Region, South Jersey Region, Subaru CenDiv Series, Tri-State Sports Car Council, Texas Region, Wisconsin Autocrossers Inc., and several others.
    Truth is, the PAX index has no official ties to the SCCA, although it has become widely accepted by SCCA Solo II programs across the country.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw