Thread: Track Day at TMS with Panoz

Default Track Day at TMS with Panoz

Kind of a last second thing, I just found out about a track event at the TMS infield course a few days ago that was held on Sat. Panoz Racing school was holding one of their "Fast Laps" days. The infield course is only 1.1 miles but pretty fun for a lowly cone shagger like me.

There was a good showing of nice cars out there. I was running in the intermediate/advanced group with a new Viper, C5 Z06 with R-comps, supercharged Mustang Cobra with R-comps, Porsche 911, a couple of S2000s, and a fully gutted raced prepped Yugo, turbo Integra TypeR and an E46 M3.

I was running my fairly stock Miata, still running the stock airbox and springs, with 14" used up Azenis. Funny side note, a friend overheard the M3 driver calling BS on me for only having I/H/E (during the 2nd session I passed him then lapped him later in the session). LOL, I don't even have an intake!

I had a good time, but was very tired by the end of the day. This was my second time at a road course and it's a lot of fun. The miata never ceases to amaze me. What a great car! The Azenis never gave up on me, just got a little greasy during my third session. My Hawk HP+s where great too, they never overheated and took a lot of abuse.

For $95 we got 4 30 minute sessions, the only thing I needed was instruction to see if what I was doing was right. They wanted to charge $25 per session for an instructor.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I might have some video available soon. The camera was acting up though, so I'm not sure if it will come out good.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Is that the same 3cyl turbocharged Yugo that is at some of the local AutoX events?
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    Kind of a last second thing, I just found out about a track event at the TMS infield course a few days ago that was held on Sat. Panoz Racing school was holding one of their "Fast Laps" days. The infield course is only 1.1 miles but pretty fun for a lowly cone shagger like me.
    Hey thanks for giving us a heads up on this event!

Oh wait you didn't give us a heads up........

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Hey thanks for giving us a heads up on this event!

Oh wait you didn't give us a heads up........
    Like I said it was last minute... wait, why am I defending myself?!? You wouldn't even pay full price for the SCCA event, there's no way you have payed more for this is there?

Anyway, I didn't want any faster Miatas out there! LOL!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Is that the same 3cyl turbocharged Yugo that is at some of the local AutoX events?
    I'm not sure, it was orange with primered doors that had Michelin Sucks painted on them by hand.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Where the hell is that "This Thread Is Worthless Without Pics" smilie... damn.
    Sorry, didn't get any pics.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto

Anyway, I didn't want any faster Miatas out there! LOL!
    So why in the hell didn't you invite me? I'm slow as hell!!

Well, that and my car is in pieces...

I recieved a ride along in a Panoz GTS for my birthday last year. It was actually kinda boring. The driver seememd really slow. But I have a really neat photo montage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13
    I recieved a ride along in a Panoz GTS for my birthday last year. It was actually kinda boring. The driver seememd really slow. But I have a really neat photo montage.
    If you look closely at all the tires they use on the GTS's and TTs you'll notice they're running crappy Pirelli all season tires. That's probably why it felt pretty slow.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Where the hell is that "This Thread Is Worthless Without Pics" smilie... damn.
    Don't worry, the yugo is in the video! So here it is:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...layable%3Atrue
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Sweet video!

How'd those Mustang drivers like being passed by an almost stock Miata?
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Sweet video!

How'd those Mustang drivers like being passed by an almost stock Miata?
    I'm sure they weren't too happy.

I'd love to get some track time in on some RA-1s or Hankook spec tires.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

2 hours of track time for $95 is a TCB deal.

Nice to meet you yesterday.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I shot a video at the one I went to of a miata making a porsche look a little slow. If I could figure out how to post a vid I would, its pretty low quality thogh.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan