Thread: JR MP45 and Clutch work

Default JR MP45 and Clutch work

Anyone have the Jackson Racing MP45 installed in their car?
    If so what is your opinion of this unit?
    Opinions and or comments welcome.

Also any suggestions or referrals on a shop or individual who does good clutch work on Miatas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    Anyone have the Jackson Racing MP45 installed in their car?
    If so what is your opinion of this unit?
    Opinions and or comments welcome.

Also any suggestions or referrals on a shop or individual who does good clutch work on Miatas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    No one has the MP45 as there isn't a kit yet, but I have the M45 kit and I love it... If you can live with knowing you will never take it over 200 whp, it is a great kit. Gary sells and installs them, but the install really isn't that bad.

For a clutch install, Gary should be able to do it, but I'm not sure of anyone over in your neck of the woods.

hhmmm Moss says it's a MP45, that's where I am getting the model # from...probably the same animal.
    As far as power goes that is plenty for me
    Gary is going to be doing the install....I will shoot him a letter about the clutch install as well.
    How long have you been running that system Titus?
    99 Miata Black

hhmmm Moss says it's a MP45, that's where I am getting the model # from...probably the same animal.
    As far as power goes that is plenty for me
    Gary is going to be doing the install....I will shoot him a letter about the clutch install as well.
    How long have you been running that system Titus?
    I'm not sure where you are seeing Moss list it as an MP45, but if you look at the parts list they provide you will see it is listed as "S/C SEBRING, M45CW". The M45 uses an external bypass valve, while the MP45 is a newer design with an internal bypass valve that is said to perform better. There has been rumor of JR working with an outside company to revise the kit using the MP45, but it does not exist yet. You might want to ask Gary, as he often has inside information on stuff like that.

Note- you may have picked up the MP from looking at the BRP Kits. They use an MP62 with an internal bypass.

ahhh it says Eaton Roots type MP45, Vacumn bypass system.
    I found it in the last two catalogs, this is right next to the JR logo.
    99 Miata Black

Hey Titus, just spoke w/ Gary and he confirmed what you said.
    That's just real odd that Moss would have a typo in two seperate catalogs.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    99 Miata Black

Hey Titus, just spoke w/ Gary and he confirmed what you said.
    That's just real odd that Moss would have a typo in two seperate catalogs.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    It isn't that surprising. Consider the fact that Jackson Racing (Which is owned by Moss) makes Superchargers for several other cars besides Miatas, some of which may use the MP45. Add this to the fact that the marketing guys are often not car guys and have to put together catalogs for Moss Miata, Moss British Motors, Moss Mini, Moss H2, Moss F150, Moss Mustang, Moss Cruiser, and Jackson Racing. I am sure it would take nothing for a non-car guy to copy and paste a quote from one description to another without realizing that one was an M45 and the other was MP45. You would like to think that a technical editor would catch this, but it is a small detail that is easily overlooked in the vast areas of automotive OEM and aftermarket parts covered by the Moss empire.
    Last edited by Titus; 01-09-2006 at 10:38 AM.

That makes a lot of sense Titus.
    Since I have that detail worked out, anyone know of someone that does good clutch work on Miata's.
    I am looking to put a Spec stage 1 or 2 clutch in with an Aluminum Flyweel.
    Thanks.
    99 Miata Black

That makes a lot of sense Titus.
    Since I have that detail worked out, anyone know of someone that does good clutch work on Miata's.
    I am looking to put a Spec stage 1 or 2 clutch in with an Aluminum Flyweel.
    Thanks.
    Stevan at www.miatasolutions.com if you can get a hold of him.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Thanks Sharpie!
    99 Miata Black

Did you ask Gary if he could do it? If the car is already going to be spending the weekend there for the SC, I would think it would make sense to keep it all in one shop.

The M45 is a great little unit. If you know you'll be happy with 160-175 RWHP it's the perfect little set-up...if you think you'll eventually want more and more power, skip it and go turbo or M62.

Come over to the Dog House sometime...you can drive mine and get a feel for it.

Speed

Thanks for the offer Speed, I will be over there Sunday.
    I think I have Gary talked into doing the clutch work for me
    Gary seems confident he can get me 180-190HP with the M45 and IC and a couple of other bits.
    I am really looking forward to getting it done, it will be late March early April before I get it all together but I will be adding motor mounts a PPF brace, the clutch and flywheel, a JR Header, heat shield, and FM Sways in the meantime to prepare for the install.
    99 Miata Black