Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Driving schools coming up in February and March

Well, Mike Lockas form Maverick Region called me up this evening and shamed me into instructing at the PCA AX102 & TT103 schools this year. So, if you didn't have a good reason to sign up before... err, you probably still dont.

Seriously, come on out if you're interested in learning how to go fast in a safe and controlled environment. Here's a link to the registration page!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Crap,...and I already sent my money in.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

He Shoots He Scores

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    I'd call somebody right now and make sure you can pick your instructor. Altiain is good, but you might not benefit from his wisdom.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    He Shoots He Scores

I'd call somebody right now and make sure you can pick your instructor. Altiain is good, but you might not benefit from his wisdom.
    Based on onething's lap times, he certainly never has.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Based on onething's lap times, he certainly never has.
    speaking of shooting and scoring....

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Majik made me fast
    Altiain made me slow down

I don't get it, but Andy Hollis said put it on the trailer and go home!
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Majik made me fast
    Altiain made me slow down

I don't get it, but Andy Hollis said put it on the trailer and go home!
    Altiain sure helped me, but any instruction would help me. I've never been to a school, and the one run he had with me at the end of last year is the only instruction I've ever had.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Default When do you know if your in?

My on line payment has already cleared. Is that any indication that I made the cut?
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
    I'll See You On The Dark Side Of The Moon

Default I'm accepted

I received an e-mail today stating that I was accepted for the Pennington AX101 class!
    Way cool.
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays

Whaa, ours hasn't come in yet. That'd be lame if we didn't get in!
    haha, registered me with my miata, my stepdad with our caddy CTS, and my friend with his si!
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

it is more expensive than the PCA schools, but for anyone interested there will be an Evolution School 3 day weekend at Mineral Wells on March 24,25,26

go to the Evolution or ER sites for info
    autocross.com/er or /evolution
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

Blah, I didn't get in, says I'm on a "wait list" oh well, guess I'll just have to learn myself at a full out event then!
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

Quote Originally Posted by TheChadVIII
    Blah, I didn't get in, says I'm on a "wait list" oh well, guess I'll just have to learn myself at a full out event then!
    Who says you have to learn yourself??? Walk the course with the novice group (SCCA and ER events are good about have a novice walk-through). At the next event you plan on attending, ride along with an experienced driver and have someone ride with you.
    No more Miata

I'd keep my options open for this week-end. A lot of people bail-out at the last minute. Did they tell you where you are on the wait-list? I would think anything below 5 will make it in. I think I heard once that they got all the way to 20 one year. Don't give up hope.

Did you enter the TT103 or AX102 schools? The AX102 school on Sunday 3/5 is a continuation of AX101, but would be very beneifical if you can get in it.

Please let us know how it goes.

Manic Mitch

Default Rain or shine

OK, my first time for the AX101 school this Sunday and looking forward to it.
    Someone please tell me they run rain or shine.
    The limit would just be lower and simulate the artificial flooding of the tracks that the F1 teams do.
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays

RudeDog and others,
    In years past they have run the event rain or shine. Yes, the wet does teach you all about "smooth-ness". Look forward to seeing you and the others there. I normally wear a jungle-camo "boonie" cap so look for me and say hi. Be sure to bring warm clothes and an umberalla. Get your tires pumped up before you get to Pennington...tire pressures are generally lower in the wet than dry, but still a little higher than most street pressures. We will supply you with car numbers. Also since it may be wet, bring large plastic bag(s) to put your stuff in from the car so it won't get wet. Bring lunch or money to buy at McDonalds or other places nearby...you wll get a lunch break of maybe 45 minutes.

When you get there, we normally line the students up in the lot closest to the stadium main entrance, along the curb facing the road perpendicular to the stadium. There normally are numbered cones (unless you get there before they get put out) and you will be assigned a student number and asked to park at that numbered cone. This is so your instructor can find you. So, when you first get there, don't park in front of the numbered cones until you're told what your student number is. You should ask where registration is (normally in the lot across the street where the course excercises are located) and check-in. You also are normally asked to fill out a form of what you expect from the school to give to your instructor so he/she can help you meet those expectations. Quite often final instructor assignments aren't made until that morning because there are no-show issues (students and instructors).

If it's really cold that morning, I may be late because I live way out in the country (Wise county) and if my dirveway gets icey, I can't get out. ;-(

Oh and most important, bring an open mind.

If any others think of any other advice, please chime in.

Maniac Mitch

You'll probably learn a lot more if it is wet. The biggest mistake a novice can make is trying to be fast out of the box - you have to learn the line and how to read a course first, and then the speed will come naturally with practice. All the speed in the world won't help you, if you don't know where to place the car on course.

A wet course will force you to slow down, concentrate on the line, look further ahead, and be smooth on your control inputs... which is exactly what you should be learning to do anyway.
    Iain

Default Thanks

Thanks for the information and advice guys.
    See you Sunday morning.
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast