Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Driving schools coming up in February and March

I went ahead and emailed Wendy back and she said that I was #8 on the list... I don't know if their have been any cancellations or anything though... do I stand a reasonable chance of getting in? I'm trying to decide if I should go home this weekend or not based on this lol.

Bolix,
    That far down the list is iffy. I'd email Wendy again Friday mid-day and ask her if you are still 8th and what chances you have if you show up. What will happen is *IF* you are the only one to show on the wait list, then you stand a good chance of a no-show. But chances are good that far down that someone else on the wait list will show up. I think Wendy has the best feel for it. There may be some cancellations between now and Friday so you may get in or at least be low on the list.

Sorry I can't be more help. You may want to watch the weather forcasts also to make sure that doesn't change your opinion on driving out that far...remember it's at Mineral Wells. Also if the weather is "supposed" to be poor, then there are a lot more no-shows. Let us know Friday what you decide. Remember to look for my jungle camo bonnie hat if you do come out.

Maniac Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac Mitch
    Remember to look for my jungle camo bonnie hat if you do come out.
    Don't you mean boonie hat, you ? I'll be there on Sunday, but probably in just a normal Mazdaspeed cap.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Geez....and I proof-read my posts before hitting submit. Yeah, BOONIE cap not bonnie. See ya Sunday for the AX102!

Maniac Mitch

I am #5 on the list, I plan on showing up just to take a chance to get in...however my tires have tread but are crap so I doubt I would get much out of it if it's wet.
    99 Miata Black

Hey everyone....
    I just saw at 8:30am Tues 2/28 that there are still unfilled slots in the TT103 school on Saturday!!!

Billy, I hope you make it in...please make it a point to say hi to me. I'll probably be setting up the course first thing in the morning.

Maniac Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Don't you mean boonie hat, you ? I'll be there on Sunday, but probably in just a normal Mazdaspeed cap.
    Although I haven't decided on an outfit yet, I'll be out there as well on Sunday. You can probably find me in the vicinity of these two nattily dressed fellas.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Will do Mitch.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    I am #5 on the list, I plan on showing up just to take a chance to get in...however my tires have tread but are crap so I doubt I would get much out of it if it's wet.
    The less grip your tires have, the more you will learn. Goes double if it rains. Traction only masks your mistakes and makes it tough for your instructor (or you) to pick them out.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Any last minute news for the people on the wait list. I tried to contact Wendy, but haven't heard back from her.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I went out Sunday and luckily found a spot! PCA put on a great event and I was so happy to take out the Miata for the first time this year.

It was good to meet everybody and a big thanks to TC for really doing a great job as an instructor and tweeking the car setup. I think we had the car dialed in pretty good by the end of the day and it was pretty fast.

Note to self... sign up earlier next year and pay immediately!

Mitch, there were a couple guys out there with some nice cameras, do they usually post their photos somewhere?
    Last edited by Miatamoto; 03-06-2006 at 07:59 AM.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I was thinking the same thing (pics).

I had a great time and Lugnut John showed me a lot of things that I need to work on, the big one being that I am a habitual one hand on wheel one on shifter driver.
    That's going to be a hard habit to break.
    Also I need to work on turning sooner on the slalom, and overall just be more consistant in my driving.....it was well worth the time and cash.
    99 Miata Black

Yay, Wendy got me in at the last minute. Like everyone says, the PCA Maverick group puts on a great event. I learned a lot and had a great time, even though I had to share Jon's time with Billy.

I can hardly wait til March 18th!

I switched to TT103 last minute when I found out I was 11th on the Autox102 waiting list. I learned a great deal from Mitch! I need to work on my braking, hands position and pushing the car's limits.

Can hardly wait til 3/18!
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

Default I enjoyed all four schools

First off, sorry I just now managed to check the forum. I'll email the people I know that had cameras (especially the gray hair tall skinny guy with a single leg tripod for his digital camera) and see if I can get some pics or where they'll be posted. Not sure Charley (the guy above) has a web site. But a pic he took of me coming out of the 180 at the SE corner of the track over a year ago is my desktop on two workstations!

Alan's RX8 is a really nice car! It's the first one I've got to drive, and it handled great. Could use more power, but will teach Alan about momentum cars!! I found I could drive it faster through the rough section of the TT course than I could a 300hp SRT4 my other student had. The SRT4 was a beast and reminded me of my 240Z in the traction department. I know that John and Iain will have fun with the new screaming yellow RX8.

Speaking of traction, my two students at the Sunday AX102 school each had a Mini Cooper S. Each badly needed a posi for the diff...you could spin the right front soooooo easy. The S cars are really nice...I enjoyed my chances to drive one. BTW, one of the students beat my best time in his car during the timed AX...as it should be. I had to give him a ride in my Miata for the fun runs to redeem myself. Of course Tailchaser blasted my best time as did others. I'm the first to say I'm not the fastest driver out there, but I'm usually one of the ones having the most fun!!!

Thanks for all who attended the event. I'll be sure to post as soon as I see anything next year. Iain and others that are also on the Mav list...help me out incase I'm not watching closely.

Maniac Mitch

Hey Mitch, what's under the hood? I saw a boost gauge.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    Hey Mitch, what's under the hood? I saw a boost gauge.
    I believe Mitch has the BRP supercharger on his 95. I ride with him for several laps, it was AWESOME! The combo of supercharger whine, the Borla exhaust, high spring rates and racing seat, it was intoxicating!
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

I have the JR "baby" M45 on my car with the TDR air/air intercooler. It is not the most powerful setup (160rwhp), but it is "set it up and forget it". I want a setup that is reliable and almost maintenance free. It makes 6.5lbs with the JR Big boost kit (there is some loss through the intercooler). I've added a fuel pump and timing computer (Bipes) to keep it together.

The seats are necessary so I can pass "broomstick" test for DE events....a pain to get in/out of...but they do hold me nice.

I haven't heard anything about pictures yet...I'll email Charlie again if I don't hear anything in a day or so.

Maniac Mitch

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234