Thread: Brake Proportioning Valve?

Default Brake Proportioning Valve?

Have any of you guys used an adjustable BPV? I have decided that I need a little more rear brake action when autocrossing. The stock BPV gives a 80/20split (F/R). Before I go to an adjustable unit I'll try a stock unit from a 2001 w/ ABS which is actually a "dummy" valve that gives a 50/50 split all the time. Any comments welcome.
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

IIRC Gary from Trackdog had or has one on his red car. Maybe give him a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    IIRC Gary from Trackdog had or has one on his red car. Maybe give him a shout.
    I'll confirm he's got one...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Default Update

With the "dummy" valve on, I didn't notice any ill effects at yesterday's autocross. I had expected the rear to lock up, but it didn't happen!

So.... how much do those dummy prop valves cost?
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

$16.xx from Mazda Comp. I think the real danger in using these will be on wet streets, so not the best thing for a daily driver. Maybe I shouldn't jump to a premature conclusion at this point. That "mirror-cross" course yesterday at MW was not our "typical" course layout. I'd like to try it at Pennington as well as on a "normal" MW course before wholeheartedly endorsing it. ()

Quote Originally Posted by Mark52
    $16.xx from Mazda Comp. I think the real danger in using these will be on wet streets, so not the best thing for a daily driver. Maybe I shouldn't jump to a premature conclusion at this point. That "mirror-cross" course yesterday at MW was not our "typical" course layout. I'd like to try it at Pennington as well as on a "normal" MW course before wholeheartedly endorsing it. ()
    Yup. Fully understand. Just curious, and 16.xx sounds much better than having to reflare tubing and spend 75.xx...

So far, so good. Seemed to work OK at the Bus Lot!