Thread: Need place to shave new RA-1's

Default Need place to shave new RA-1's

Just ordered a set of RA-1's from edgeracing.com but they do not shave tires, so where can I get this done around Dallas?
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Anybody?!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    Just ordered a set of RA-1's from edgeracing.com but they do not shave tires, so where can I get this done around Dallas?
    I know Bobby Archer's in FTW does it. Not sure on the price, but maybe they know somewhere in Dallas you can goto.
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

I always have mine shaved before shipping, so have never needed to have it done locally.......
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Check with Verges, he normally sends them out in bulk and gets them done for about 25% of the normal charge.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Quote Originally Posted by ray_sir_6
    I know Bobby Archer's in FTW does it. Not sure on the price, but maybe they know somewhere in Dallas you can goto.
    Ok, update...

I talked to Troy at Archer's, and they don't know any place in Dallas to shave tires, but they do them for $16/Ea, not in house, but not wanting to release their source.
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

Ok, update...

I talked to Troy at Archer's, and they don't know any place in Dallas to shave tires, but they do them for $16/Ea, not in house, but not wanting to release their source.
    Hey... not to thread-jack, but welcome aboard... I presume you're the same guy i met at an all night engine swap in the rough part of Dalworthington...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Hey... not to thread-jack, but welcome aboard... I presume you're the same guy i met at an all night engine swap in the rough part of Dalworthington...
    Yup. I got past the "Me ought-a" and just did it. Proud owner of a 91 now.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Yup. I got past the "Me ought-a" and just did it. Proud owner of a 91 now.
    I remember that. Whatever happened to the time-lapse video Evil was going to post up?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    I remember that. Whatever happened to the time-lapse video Evil was going to post up?
    The camera died (battery) right after the motor got put back in. It missed the whole re-install, and, well, the time lapse looked like crap. First time doing it, and, well, it showed, ALOT. That's why it didn't get posted. I suck at video.

Check with Todd Eady at the Carrolton (isn't that where he is now?) Discount Tire. While I'm no fan of Discount, I know this one was supposed to be getting a tire shaving machine to service the local SCCA crowd.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

drift day > tire shaving

I bet someone at fith gear motorsports knows.

haha you could always just mount em and go do a couple donuts

Todd doesn't know anyone locally. Wayne Atkins has his tires dropped shipped to Vilven Tire in Ohio where they shave them and ship them to him. Overall cost is about 30 bucks per tire by the time you figure shipping and shaving...not including mounting when they come back to Todd....
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Moral of the story- If the company selling the r-compound tire can't shave it before shipping it to you, it just might not be the great deal it first appears to be.