Thread: Timing Marks

Chassis Designer

Question Timing Marks

96 Miata with 1.8
    on the crank pulley I see two marks both of which are painted white . After the ECM problem I am leary of taking anything for granted . If I am looking down on the pully while facing the front of the motor is the first mark TDC and the second one 10 degrees BTDC.
    A timing light shows me at about 25 degrees off but yet the car runs decent or so it seems. It does stall a little between shifting or taking off but not bad. We reset the timing to about 12 BTDC but did not seem to help much So maybe I am looking at the marks wrong
    There was no pinging or rough idle before and I still do not have any but just not sure of timng
    Any help would be appreciated or if any one has a little time latter today through to Monday that we could get together would be a big help

Miata.net has a link in the garage that if you read further down the page, it mentions that the 96-98 are the same as the 94 and that they have a yellow mark at TDC and a white mark at 10 degrees BTDC (Before Top Dead Center)

You can always pull the plugs and put something long down in the #1 cylinder plug hole and rotate the engine by hand to see where Top Dead Center is. From there you should be able to easily tell which one is the mark you need.

BEWARE: Sometimes those pulleys rotate and the timing marks get off. That happened to my 90 Spec project car. Made it a total to get it timed and where it would pass inspection.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Chassis Designer

Default Timing Marks

Thanks Channelmaniac, for the reply ,I had seen the article you are talking about but the problem is both of my marks are painted!!!! white !!!! . Even by putting something in the cylinder I could be on exhaust and not intake stroke .
    Would just like to be sure which mark is which before going any further and then I can paint them the right color

The engine rotates clockwise from the front, so the leading mark (the one on the right of the two marks) is the 10 degrees BTDC mark, and the other mark is the TDC mark.
    Mike Valant
    '94 Miata (daily driver)
    '03 MINI Cooper S (autocrosser - yeah I know, they're backwards! )

http://www.txwerks.com

Chassis Designer

Default Timing Marks

Thanks Mike ,
    Now will go recheck and paint them do appreciate it