Thread: Wheel question

Default Wheel question

This is all hypothetical, but I have a set of 14" BBS from the miata in the garage. I'm considering having the centers honed out a bit so that they will fit my Civic. Anyone know of a machine shop that would do this, and an approximate costs?

Wouldn't I just need to use a hubcentric ring if I wanted to put them back on the miata?

Just thinking out loud, I doubt I do it.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie

Wouldn't I just need to use a hubcentric ring if I wanted to put them back on the miata?
    Not really... my wheels are mounted without using a hubcentric ring. You just have to be a bit more careful when mounting and torquing the lugnuts.

I'll just throw this your way as a possible place to help you out. They did all of the machine work on the engine for my OTM, so they'd definitely have the ability to open the hub bore. I'm just not sure if they've done it before or would be willing...
    Turnaround time is generally quite good.

Arlington Automotive Machine Shop
    817-261-9022

I've always dealt with Eddie, but anyone there should be able to help you out.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

I thinking a wheel shop.......?
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Nobody has a problem with me hacking up some miata specific BBS' wheels? No wheel places to recommend doing something like this?
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    Nobody has a problem with me hacking up some miata specific BBS' wheels?
    They're yours right? Then what the hell should we care what you do with 'em? No, really though, go for it.

Unless of course you feel like givin' them to me...

Question, could ya uses a wheel spacer to get the clearance you need on the hub??

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    He'd have to get longer bolts too...
    Really depends on how much of a spacer he needs. I got Spacers on OEM Lugs on the '02.

Are you hacking up a set of the 8.5 lb. 14" BBS wheels????

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer
    Are you hacking up a set of the 8.5 lb. 14" BBS wheels????
    If I decided to do this. They're the original basketweave BBS' from the 92' and 93's.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Question, could ya uses a wheel spacer to get the clearance you need on the hub??

IIRC, the Honda center hub diameter is bigger than the Miata's. Spacers ain't gonna help in that regard.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain

IIRC, the Honda center hub diameter is bigger than the Miata's. Spacers ain't gonna help in that regard.
    Yup. I don't own a big enough hammer to put my Miata wheels on my Honda... so I'm anxious to hear how this works out.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

That's why I'd have to hone out the center hub hole. From the prices I've seen ($60-$75 per wheel) I could buy a set of 15" honda alloys and keep the bbs' for the track, not that they've seen the track since fall 04'.

Right now they're back on the miata to wear out the es 100's that are on them, so never mind.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by altiain

Push the rims out past the hub was my thought.

Chris,
    If these are the 14" BBS wheels off a 92 C package (the 8.5 lb. variety), I think you'd be much better off selling them and using the proceeds to buy some Honda-specific wheels. Unless the BBS wheels are trashed, they are worth good coin...

Speed

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer
    Chris,
    If these are the 14" BBS wheels off a 92 C package (the 8.5 lb. variety), I think you'd be much better off selling them and using the proceeds to buy some Honda-specific wheels. Unless the BBS wheels are trashed, they are worth good coin...

Speed
    I believe these are the original 14" BBSs from his '93 LE. He replaced them with the 15" variety off of a '95 M.