Thread: Silly Question on NC and Oil

Default Silly Question on NC and Oil

The NC's owners manual says that the Oil Filter should be changed at "an authorized Mazda service center" or some such nonsense because it needs a special tool.

Anyone have any clue what they are talking about? Is the Miata's oil filter oddly shaped or needs to be tightened specially or something?

I'd suspect the special "tool" would be the tech at the Mazda dealership and the "tool" behind the parts counter and the "tool" that actually runs the joint.

I can't imagine it being hard for a DIY mechanic.

On a similar note, my wife's old 2001 Rustang had a tail light bulb go out. Owner's manual said it had to be replaced at the stealership. They wanted $50 to change it.

Got a replacement bulb for $5 at the parts store and changed it myself. It was a PITA but doable. Had to remove the taillight to get to the bulb. Dumb 'merican cars.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

That's kinda what I figured. The back of my owner's manual has the P/N for the shop manuals. I will have to invest in a set one day.

Its likely due to being a cartridge filter, I know the 3's MZR uses a cartridge type filter.

I am guessing you are right wrxmr2eater. Any details on what I need to get one off and back on?

From previous (last week) experience.....the Mazda Gorilla puts them on with an 800 lb-ft torque wrench! I had to remove two of the chassis braces and grunt and groan for at least thirty minutes before I got it to budge. I could only move it about an eight of an inch each time. It went over 1/4 turn before it began to losen. It was all mangled, using the slip joint filter wrench I always use.

In other words....YOU DECIDE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MX-5EE View Post
    I am guessing you are right wrxmr2eater. Any details on what I need to get one off and back on?
    On some of the MZRs its as simple as normal drain of oil from the pan, and then when going to remove the filter, use a hey key to remove the center portion of the filter holder to drain the filter housing of oil. Once that is complete use something like a 74mm filter wrech (cup) to remove the filter housing.

I haven't been under the new Miata, this is just from working with a friends 3.

It is also almost exactly like doing my wifes Passat, but Mazda uses metal and VW seems to love pressure formed plastic

Talking Oil change

I have always used a oil change service to do this problematic job. 17 1/2 years and 155,000 miles and still going strong. I also still have all my fingers
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

I am not sure where the oil filter is located and how much room to stick your hand/wrench into it in the NC. For my Millenia S, I have to use a "cap" type oil filter wrench with an enxtension and my socket wrench to get to the filter. It is not hard at all if you have what is needed. It is just that the filter is hard to get to w/o some kind tool. I would rather invest in the tools and leave the "stealership" out of the equation, unless you are comfortable having a high school kid changing oil on you new car!
    Gabriel

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bnordin View Post
    I have always used a oil change service to do this problematic job.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    I would rather invest in the tools and leave the "stealership" out of the equation, unless you are comfortable having a high school kid changing oil on you new car!
    I'm with gabkwong on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by wrxmr2eater View Post
    On some of the MZRs its as simple as normal drain of oil from the pan, and then when going to remove the filter, use a hey key to remove the center portion of the filter holder to drain the filter housing of oil. Once that is complete use something like a 74mm filter wrech (cup) to remove the filter housing.

I haven't been under the new Miata, this is just from working with a friends 3.

It is also almost exactly like doing my wifes Passat, but Mazda uses metal and VW seems to love pressure formed plastic
    OK, by "hey key", I am sure you mean "hex key" as in a Stanley wrench, and I am going to guess on my Miata it is a torx head. Those things are everywhere on the NC. I guess I need to get a set. Thanks for the help. I am going to do the oil change in a month, and if extra tools are needed I would like to get them now.

I already have a pretty full range of tools in my box. Sockets, drivers, torque wrench, Stanley wrenches, breaker bar, gear puller, torque wrench, etc. So I should have most of what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxmr2eater View Post
    hey key
    D'oh Nice translation, yes hex key. I didnt have to use a Torx on the 3, but the Mx-5 might be different. Never hurts to be over prepared.

It has a normal canister filter, just a bit larger than earlier Miatas. The filter is located at the rear of the block, driver's side, mounted vertically. Chassis braces ARE in the way, but easy to remove.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'