Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CEL Codes: P0420 and P0303

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    When it comes to clearing codes by this method some folks say disconnect for a few seconds, others say 30 minutes, hold the brake pedal for ten seconds, pull the main fuse, etc...I've done it by disconnecting the battery and leaving it overnight.
    I've found that 30 seconds works just as well as 30 minutes...but after much more than than a minute I had to reset all the preset's in my MP3 Player and Radio....
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I've always heard to disco the battery and press on the brake pedal for a few seconds afterwards is all that's needed.

Quote Originally Posted by VFR750 View Post
    Put wires and plugs in it, probably needs an 02 sensor also at that mileage.
    I am in your area pretty regular, have a scanner and know how to use it. PM me if you need some help this weekend.
    Thanks! Will do.

Did you do both O2's?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I've always heard to disco the battery and press on the brake pedal for a few seconds afterwards is all that's needed.
    I have read that as well... helps zap all remaining energy in the system.

You like my technical jargon?

If I were you I would hold off the O2 sensors until I change out the plugs and wire first. Get the NGK for both. I believe NGK is the OEM brand. The O2 sensor is not cheap! Don't ask me why I know!
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
    Which house is that? I feel a pulling my leg moment coming... "You know the one with the murders..." "The one that was a condemend crack house" LOL

Yep... I live one block over from Summit on Crestview.

It really is a gem of a neighborhood still.

In the summer it sure is nice to see all the big trees with leaves shading the road.
    Not the one on the corner???

You were provided with the full disclosure statement on that house, weren't you?
    Last edited by cam76034; 01-10-2008 at 03:44 AM.

Not the one on the corner???

You were provided with the full disclosure statement on that house, weren't you?

You are an evil man!

To all I splurged and travelled the mile or so to Harbor Freight and bought the OBD2 Reader.

I cleared the codes and on my commute this morning it did not return.

I dug into my Mazda shop manual and found a way to test resistance of the spark plug wires using a multimeter.

I will do that this weekend (will probably take pics for a DIY) and then go from there.

Maybe I will just replace the plugs if the wire are still within spec.

I'll be over at mom's house sometime this weekend, I'll come on by (all the way across the street) and bring my NGK plug wires I replaced, in case you've got a bad one on that #3 cylinder.

BTW, the neighbors are all about the guy who is always standing in the middle of the street taking pictures of his car.

I'll be over at mom's house sometime this weekend, I'll come on by (all the way across the street) and bring my NGK plug wires I replaced, in case you've got a bad one on that #3 cylinder.

BTW, the neighbors are all about the guy who is always standing in the middle of the street taking pictures of his car.
    Should be home most of the weekend... I will PM you my home and cell #.

I will go ahead and test that #3 wire for sure.

I only replaced the front 02 sensor, that is the one that controls the A/F ratio, I bought one online for $90 that was a direct plug in, no cutting of wires needed.
    Checking the plug wires (or anything electrical) with a multi meter is better than nothing but a lot of times the item in question needs to be hot and under load to find a problem.
    Wires and plugs are cheap, your stole that car for what, less than $5k, pony up and spend some bucks........

Wires and plugs are cheap, your stole that car for what, less than $5k, pony up and spend some bucks........
    $4,500 with a shop manual.

I am still reeling from the $39 OBD2 purchase yesterday, so need to let the wallet cool before I can get the plugs.

In reality I am biting my lip everyday trying to not purchase 6UL's, Full Suspension and a Roll Bar.

Kags can attest how I will buy a car... dump loads of mod money in it and before a year of ownership I am on to something else.

I feel like saying "I am 2 1/2 months sober".
    Last edited by XM_Rocks; 01-10-2008 at 01:31 PM.

I know what you mean, I said I was going to keep mine stock. Tires, wheels and a roll bar later I am thinking I need some sway bars......

So XM_Rocks, any more CEL's since clearing it last weekend?

I know what you mean, I said I was going to keep mine stock. Tires, wheels and a roll bar later I am thinking I need some sway bars......
    I know... It always is just one more item.

So XM_Rocks, any more CEL's since clearing it last weekend?
    No more CEL's!

So it has been a week since I cleared them.

Had an odd idle dip at a light today... but a blip on the throttle and it never returned.

I am going to order the orange pad tonight... I really cant wait to see what we can do about your scratch.

I can work on your scratch and you can work on installing my sway bars and roll bar.

I am going to order the orange pad tonight... I really cant wait to see what we can do about your scratch.

I can work on your scratch and you can work on installing my sway bars and roll bar.
    Sure! After all...NMC

I know... It always is just one more item.

No more CEL's!

So it has been a week since I cleared them.

Had an odd idle dip at a light today... but a blip on the throttle and it never returned.

Hmmm... I'll install your sway bars in exchange for a PC job.

i have some new Live wires for sale :)
    99 Miata Black

OOOOOhhhhh AAAhhhh

Hey XM you polished on any classic cars? I'm wanting to get the PC to refresh my 'lac but I'm worried about screwing up it's 41 year old paint....

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Hey XM you polished on any classic cars? I'm wanting to get the PC to refresh my 'lac but I'm worried about screwing up it's 41 year old paint....
    Thats easy:

Just take the twisted wool pad... flatten a brillo pad on top of the pad and use a 50/50 water and sand solution. Should be fine.

Seriously though start with the worst area using a lighter and work your way more coarse.

I was standing nearby when a friend of mine did his single stage 1990 Nissan pickup and took off lots of oxidation. The good thing on the single stages is you dont have to worry about stripping clear.

I would start with an orange pad (not really agressive) and you may have to go to yellow.

I would love to help out... if the Miata took 5 hours that big land barge should take an entire weekend though.

Can you post up some pics of the problem areas on the land yacht?
    Last edited by XM_Rocks; 01-17-2008 at 12:35 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12