Thread: How much did a new 10AE cost in 1999?

Default How much did a new 10AE cost in 1999?

It seems most people are asking around $10K for a 10AE these days, and non-AE 1999's are being priced for around $6-7K. I just wondered how well they are holding their value.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

As I recall, they listed for around $28k, with ABS and a hardtop as options that took it over $30k. There was also a lot of dealer markups going on.

Wow, that makes the new PRHT seem like a bargain.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD

OK... scratch that... Wiki says "an MSRP of $26,875, about $6500 more than a base model". Still should price out to around $30k if you add a hardtop AND ABS.

Blackroadster would know.......
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

The original owner of my NA base model (with A/C, no radio and steel wheels) paid $18K in March 1990 which translates into approx. $28K in today's dollars.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    Blackroadster would know.......
    Yep. Still have my original window sticker somewhere. It was over $30k with the hardtop and ABS.

I don't recall the original MSRP.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

what kind of a moron pays $30k for a miata?
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    what kind of a moron pays $30k for a miata?
    I guess me. Ass!

Actually I didn't. Insurance ended up paying for it when I totaled it.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

There is no reason to pay for a new 10AE back than and same for today. Other than able to get the ABS with the "Hard S" suspension together, there is no other reason. Unless you have to have a blue car with the blink blink wheels. It is also heavier than the 99 Sport.
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    There is no reason to pay for a new 10AE back than and same for today. Other than able to get the ABS with the "Hard S" suspension together, there is no other reason. Unless you have to have a blue car with the blink blink wheels. It is also heavier than the 99 Sport.
    The 10AE was the only '99 with a 6-speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    The 10AE was the only '99 with a 6-speed.
    Referencing the 10AE - a review when the car first came out (probably TMI - but here it is anyway):

"The entire package is taste-fully executed and, at $27,325, adds almost $2000 to the price of a similarly equipped, noncommemorative Miata. Oh, yes, buyers also get a "gift set" with a scale model of the car, a special key ring, and his-and-hers Seiko watches. Aside from the cosmetics and other goodies, this Miata also has a Torsen limited-slip differential, a sport-tuned suspension with Bilstein shocks, a front strut-tower brace for increased stiffness, and a six-speed manual transmission. What's the difference between a five-and six-speed Miata trans? To put it simply, there's less of a jump between gears in the six-speed car. That makes it easier to keep the engine on full boil. Plus, even though the six-speed and five-speed cars have similar top-gear ratios, the six-speed car has a taller final drive, 3,91:1 vs. 4,30:1, which means the six-speed car hums at 3000 rpm in top gear at 60 mph-200 less rpm than in the base model. Theoretically, the six-speed's closer gear spacing keeps the engine operating more nearly at peak power for quicker acceleration. In our track tests, this proved to be true. The five- and six-speed models are roughly equal off the line, but the six-speed gets to 60 mph in 7.6 seconds, 0.3 second quicker than the five-speed car. By 110 mph, the six-speed's 35.7-second time is 1.6 seconds less than the base car's. On the road, these differences aren't all that apparent, but neither is the six-speed all that much more work. When the mood strikes, it doesn't take a lot of practice to settle into a pleasing rhythm of up- and down-shifting. The Miata's short-throw shifter requires little more than wrist action, and its heel-and-toe-friendly pedal placement helps maintain the illusion of being behind the wheel of one of those British sports cars of the '50s upon which the Miata is patterned. "

I paid $9500 for mine last April with 60k miles on it. Everything is original best I can tell - no seiko watches or diecast model...but everything else is there. The top is original and has a few "bad" spots that have been "fixed". I love driving this car...it's more fun to drive than Nails 2006 - even though his is a little quicker...he believes mine is better on the turns (he says this because he can't keep up with me on them).
    Last edited by cArAzzIE; 05-14-2008 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cArAzzIE View Post
    I love driving this car...it's more fun to drive than Nails 2006 - even though his is a little quicker...he believes mine is better on the turns.
    I believe it. Your car is a few hundred pounds lighter, has lighter wheels, bilsteins, and no way near as much body roll as the NC.

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    Hey I like my blink blink wheels, Gab!

I'd guess the leather seats are biggest difference as far as being heavier than the Sport. I don't think the cruise control would add too much but you never know.