Thread: Rear break hung!

Default Rear break hung!

Well I did something foolish today

I let my wife drive my car as I needed hers. She called me in a near panic. She said, "the car slows down when she let off the gas." I asked her if the E-Brake was on, and she said, "no" and again repeated that the car slows down when she lets up the gas. I replied, "its supposed to ", and about that time she started screaming that the car was smoking!

Somehow the brake that was sticking must have broke loose and let go. Then she was able to drive it normally. I've never had this happen on this car. Has anyone else?

She said it was a back brake. I always park with the E-brake on. I guess this could be an insulated brake stick, or I may have a brake caliper going south. What do you guys think?
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

I think you should do a check on the e-brake system and check the slider pins on all 4 calipers on the car.

Doesn't take long to check them for pitting, scoring, dirt, or lack of lubrication. Re-lube 'em if they look good and stick it all back together.

Raymond
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Yep I agree, you need to grease the rear sliders pins and re adjust the rear calipers. You need to look at the pads, never good when you let the smoke out of them!

Oh crap, does this mean Mazda still uses a crappy park brake mechanism? I had a 90 Protege GT that did the same thing.

I've got an extra set of rear calipers. We could pop the old ones off and put new ones on in under an hour. I image the the caliper has seized.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

the pivot arm on the caliper does seize sometimes- we spray the crap out of them with PB blaster before events if it has been wet, or the car has been sitting for a long time.
    [email protected]
    "if it can be done cheap, we can do it. if you want it done right, we'd rather do that."

Thanks for the info guys. I've been driving it for the last couple of days with no problems at all. 1st chance I get I'll grease the pins. I've got some rear pads that I've been waiting on an excuse to put on. My current pads still have a lot of meat on them, but I might as well replace them while I'm there.

I've got an extra set of rear calipers. We could pop the old ones off and put new ones on in under an hour. I image the the caliper has seized.
    Thanks for the offer SS, but I don't think they have siezed because neither back brake is sticking now, and the car doesn't pull to one side when I apply the brakes. I'm currently thinking that the pins need lubing. I've had the car for over 50k miles and never replaced the rear brakes as they haven't shown they need it. However I've replaced the front twice. I purchase a rear set, the first time I replaced the front, but when I got the rear wheels off, they didn't look like they needed replacing. That said, I'm sure they are at least overdue for a lube job.

I've got the stock brakes on my car, that are real small for the 14" wheels. If anyone with the later model larger brakes has stepped up to an aftermarket brake set, and are looking to get rid of their old stockers; let me know
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Yeah,

You'll want to replace those pads on the back for sure... they'll be glazed all to hell...

If you don't resurface the rotors then at least scuff 'em up before putting the pads on.

RJ

Where did you read about that, CM? :P
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Where did you read about that, CM? :P
    <snap>

I've been doing car maintenance since my first car when I was 16.