Thread: Verizon FIOS not compatible with Samsung???

Default Verizon FIOS not compatible with Samsung???

Venting...

Ever since ditching Time Warner/Comcast in favor of Verizon FIOS, I've had some issues with my box. Most days when I come home, the box will not react to the remote and will not turn itself on. The only recourse I have is to turn the box off at the power strip, wait 10 seconds, and flip it back on. Then everything works smoothly.

My other problem is that over 50% of the time when I attempt to DVR a program, the box records only the first 7 or 8 seconds of the show. I cannot tell if this problem is related to the first issue. 7 seconds of Top Gear does not cut it!!

I've called Verizon about this, and they are telling me the problem is my HDMI cable that runs form the box to the TV. Apparently some TV brands (including Samsung), when linked to the box via HDMI, interrupt some signal and cause this issue. I've been told that my only recourse is to remove the HDMI cable and use component cables instead.

1. Anyone else have similar issues with Verizon?

2. Provided that their advice is legit, how much degradation in picture quality and surround sound quality can I expect with component cables instead of HDMI.

Thanks!
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Depending on the size of your screen and the length of the run, you probably won't notice much loss in quality.

The boxes Verizon uses are the same hardware as Time Warner/Comcast were using when I had FIOS, and BOTH companies were having assloads of trouble with HDMI, so I suspect they probably aren't just pulling your leg. I've since given up on TV and instead have taken to watching grass grow as it's generally more intellectually stimulating.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Weird... I'd say at least try using the component cable for a bit to see if it really fixes the problem.

(small dig... no problems with HDMI on AT&T U-verse... )
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I run HDMI from FIOS to my Samsung HD DLP TV. I have no problems with it.

Speed, your run is very short so you will most likely not notice any loss of signal quality.
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    I run HDMI from FIOS to my Samsung HD DLP TV. I have no problems with it.
    +1

Verizon FIOS, Samsung HD LCD, and HDMI here. My DVR works just fine, although I do find that occasionally the set top box will ignore commands (the red light in front lights up to indicate it received input from the remote, but it won't actually do anything). Usually hitting the button again works.

However, the same thing happens upstairs with my Sony TV, so I blame it on the craptacular Motorola HD DVR boxes.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

What is the sequence of devices? Unless your TV is between the FiOS tuner and your DVR, there's no reason cabling should make a difference. In which case, you will get the same result whether HDMI/component/etc. At which point, you get to call CS back and point out the problem indeed lies with their hardware.

You'd think they could resolve this issue considering Samsung must have a huge slice of the HDTV pie...
    Speed

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post
    You'd think they could resolve this issue considering Samsung must have a huge slice of the HDTV pie...
    If the boxes are indeed made by Motorola, it wouldn't surprise me to hear they are dragging there feet in resolving compatibility issues with Samsung, a direct competitor on the mobile phone front.

It should work, put a big magnet on the top of your box to get a new one and try that.

Otherwise, you won't have any difference in video quality from your set top box between HDMI and HD component cables, since the only thing coming over the air is at most 1080i signals which they both support.
    Digital is digital, on or off, this is why no one tries marketing "premium" ethernet or phone cords.

If you're just using the TV's speakers then you probably won't notice any sound degradation either.
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

Quote Originally Posted by TheChadVIII View Post

If you're just using the TV's speakers then you probably won't notice any sound degradation either.
    I have 5.1 surround sound system for the TV...
    Speed