Thread: Anybody Interested in a Grassroots Challenge in DFW?

Default Anybody Interested in a Grassroots Challenge in DFW?

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...ge1/#post53589

Something to do with all those $500 Miatas.

Chassis Designer

I think its a great idea.

I have thought about doing the GRM Challenge a couple of years now and never have. If it was close to home, I would do it for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I think its a great idea.

I have thought about doing the GRM Challenge a couple of years now and never have. If it was close to home, I would do it for sure!
    I did it in 2005 with a Suzuki Swift. Drove it all the way to Florida without a trailer or tow vehicle. I'm looking for another cheap hatchback to do it again.

I've always thought about doing the GRM Challenge, but these days I think the 24 Hours of LeMons sounds like more fun.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Chassis Designer

I love the idea of both. At least in the GRM-C you have a budget to fix somethings up though. 24hr you get a $500 car that you hope stays together long enough to finish the race. Two very different things still.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I've always thought about doing the GRM Challenge, but these days I think the 24 Hours of LeMons sounds like more fun.
    Maybe we could get a team together from the people on this board. They have one in Houston every year. I think it is this month.

I love the idea of both. At least in the GRM-C you have a budget to fix somethings up though. 24hr you get a $500 car that you hope stays together long enough to finish the race. Two very different things still.
    And they can randomly pick your car to be crushed for no reason.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    And they can randomly pick your car to be crushed for no reason.
    This guy did get an unfair deal at the LeMons race:

I did too, they welded a fender from his car onto mine for spending too much time in the sandbox. But at least we got to keep our car.

Dear everyone in this thread,

no, my daily driver is not for sale.

xoxo
    mr brg
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

I love reading about these events, but they baffle me. Don't know about you, but for me time is money and putting 200 hours into a $500 car makes no sense.

In fact, any of you guys who want to do that kind of work, I will pay you $10/hour to build a real race car AND let you race it first time out. I pay all expenses and keep the car after the first race.

For example, the 2009 NASA Texas 8-hour race is in April and I am working on a Lotus Elise turbo car. Builder can co-drive it if he get licensed and does top quality work.

Quote Originally Posted by kverges View Post
    I love reading about these events, but they baffle me. Don't know about you, but for me time is money and putting 200 hours into a $500 car makes no sense.
    Because it's fun? People spend their time on lot's of frivolous things. For me, standing around a parking lot all day for <5 minutes of performance driving is a waste of time.

Others see a waste in waiting in line for a roller coaster, climbing a mountain, reading, watching TV or investing time in a hobby. So hey, the Lemons race isn't for you and building a race car isn't for everyone either. Different strokes.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I like buildnig race cars just fine and have built many, I just fail to see the point in building one for $500 when the cost is in reality much higher and there is a very limited race opprotunity for it. A SM can be raced SCCA and NASA 20+ times a year and IMO does not cost that much more than a Lemons car. You can get a running Miata for $1000 (as nice a car as a Lemons donor I suspect). Then shop around for the bits from there

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by kverges View Post

In fact, any of you guys who want to do that kind of work, I will pay you $10/hour to build a real race car AND let you race it first time out. I pay all expenses and keep the car after the first race.

For example, the 2009 NASA Texas 8-hour race is in April and I am working on a Lotus Elise turbo car. Builder can co-drive it if he get licensed and does top quality work.
    You got yourself a deal. My passion alone will drive me to do this with you. You will get a great labor rate, since I normally charge $60 hr, and I will enjoy doing it. If your serious, I am. You are more than welcome to check out any of my work. I have pics of cars I have built before and am messing with a Rally America Open Class car right now. And if you dont have enough shop space, I have plenty to spare.

I'll come if you host it :)
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

Come to think of it, it is probably cheaper to buy somebody elses finished race car than to build one yourself. Doing something on the clock for somebody else at an hourly rate is a whole lot different from messing around with your own car on your own time. I never felt pressure to get my own cars 'out the door' as long as I have something else to drive. The tech sessions we have here with extra people around and drinks and pizza are fun events but not something you would want to be doing while you are fixing cars at a flat rate and trying to get stuff done as quickly as possible.

You got yourself a deal. My passion alone will drive me to do this with you. You will get a great labor rate, since I normally charge $60 hr, and I will enjoy doing it. If your serious, I am. You are more than welcome to check out any of my work. I have pics of cars I have built before and am messing with a Rally America Open Class car right now. And if you dont have enough shop space, I have plenty to spare.
    Are you a fabricator? $60 an hour is cheap IMO. But just having moved here from SoCal, maybe I have a screwed up view of things?