Thread: 3M Clear Bra film

Default 3M Clear Bra film

I'm looking for some 3M "Clear Bra" paint protection film. It's not going on the car, it's too late for that, but on my bike. I want to cover the bottom tube as well as the chainstay and seat tube. I figure I'll need a piece about 3' x 2' to get it all done and I was wondering if you guys knew of a local place I could get some.

Before you say, "Search for it dumba$$ ", I have looked at the 3M website for dealers and the closest are not that close. I have checked flea bay, but I'm a little wearry of cheap lamitation film knock-offs and I'd like to get it sooner rather than later.

So if you know a place on the East side of town that carries it, please let me know, it would be much appreciated.

PS. I did find Modern Armor that is supposedly somewhere in Plano, but they don't list a location or hours of operation. Tried giving them a call but it looks like they were out at 4:45 PM.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Reese Supply in Dallas is a wholesale sign supply company that sells the 3M ScotchCal clear vinyl that the clear bra people use. Make sure you get the 3M brand as they have substituted Avery for me one time and it doesn't work as well. They have a city sales door at the back of the building and sell the material by the yard. Usually comes in 15" & 30" rolls at about 5-6 dollars a yard, IIRC there are different thickness by by the top of the line film it not expensive. They take cash, check or credit card. They also sell almost every color imaginable.

Are you putting it on a road or mountain bike.

http://www.reecesupply.com/

Reece Supply Co. of Dallas, Inc.
    3308 Royalty Row
    Irving, TX 75062

Toll Free: (800) 776-7448
    Local: (972) 438-3131
    Fax: (972) 721-1758

Mountain bike, I got a 2008 GT Avalanche 1.0
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

You should also make some patches to prevent cable rub. You'll get more wear from the brake and shifter cables rubbing on the frame than damage to the bottom and seat tubes. Consider getting one of these chainstay protectors instead of using film because the chain will hit the frame there and it will rip the film up in a hurry. Plus it will deaden the sound of the chain slap.

So where are you planning on riding? There are a lot of good trails in the Metroplex. Its a fun way to get some exercise in. Have fun.

+1 on Lizard Skins for the chainstay. I've had one on my Stumpjumper for years now, and it has done its job well.

BTW... it's a mountain bike! It's supposed to get dirty and dinged up. If it doesn't, you aren't riding hard enough.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post

BTW... it's a mountain bike! It's supposed to get dirty and dinged up. If it doesn't, you aren't riding hard enough.
    +1.

+ 1 on lizard skin
    +2 on the it gets dirty.

If its not dirty, you aint ridin,
    (unknown)
    Heard it somewhere.
    MSM 04 VR
    Swift DB2 No 87 Black and Blue

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by aalvarez04 View Post
    +1.
    +2

MTB - dirty, nasty

Road - pristine

I already got a Lizard Skin for the chainstay and put black electrical tape where the cables rub. But I'd like to protect the frame for the future in case I want to sell it.

Still need to get some good platform (BMX/DH) pedals and LizardSkins for the fork to protect the seals.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    Still need to get some good platform (BMX/DH) pedals...
    Speedplay FTW! Best pedals I've ever owned. So much easier to clip in and out than SPD pedals, with a lot more float. I've had the same set of Frog pedals on my mountain bikes for over 10 years now, although I am on the second set of cleats.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw