Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A place to get a new soft top

ForSale A place to get a new soft top

Hey, guys. I am in need of a soft top for my NA. I have been looking around and the prices for soft tops bounce around like Michael Jacksons checks (rest in peace, Mike!) Since I am willing to bet some one here has had some experience in buying a quality top, maybe you can help an uneducated fool like myself. I would prefer to spend less than $300 and have a glass rear window and rain rails in tan. Is this a dream? I have heard that it is not, but with all of my internet adventures, none such top appears to exist. Who ever knows where the best deal for such a top gets lunch on me! Thanks in advance, guys!

When I bought mine for the 92 B&T years ago it was from Cabrioworld.com off their eBay auctions.

It was a nice top for the cash.

You might check around for a used NB top in tan if you can find it.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Robbins Streamline are actually really nice tops and nicely priced if you can deal without a zip window.
    I just installed 2 of these and have another enroute.
    http://www.miatamania.com/Shop/ViewP...eIndexID=73569

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Robbins Streamline are actually really nice tops and nicely priced if you can deal without a zip window.
    Any pics of a Streamline on an NA? How much does it change the look of the car?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Probably the link he posted has a picture.

To the average passer-by, there's no real difference. To the owner, you lose a couple of exterior seams for a cleaner look.

'90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Correct me if I am wrong, but the reason for unzipping the plastic window is so the plastic will not fold when the top is down and thus create a fold spot and scratches in the window. Obviously the glass window does not fold, so did they just incorporate the glass design into the plastic window so the plastic window no longer folds when the top is down? That is what I assume. I have been eyeing these for a while.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    Probably the link he posted has a picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by juxt3r View Post
    To the average passer-by, there's no real difference. To the owner, you lose a couple of exterior seams for a cleaner look.
    Thanks guys. I guess the overall profile would have to remain the same since the frame wasn't changed.

I had rogue install a streamline... it pwns
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y15...miata/don3.jpg
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y15...miata/don1.jpg
    99 miata 62k miles, only mod is tenzo rs-5 17 inch wheels, and black robbins top

Quote Originally Posted by the_don View Post
    I had rogue install a streamline... it pwns
    Can you tell me if the rear window folds flat or does it fold in half?

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Can you tell me if the rear window folds flat or does it fold in half?
    Flat, just like a NB.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    I strongly suggest not purchasing the Streamline top!!! I had mine professionally installed with new tension cables and new OEM weather stripping right at about one year ago. The top has been slowly pulling back away from around where the glass window is. I also just noticed today that the inner liner is ripping where the support bar just behind your head is, so that I can now see light through a threadbare think layer of canvas! I can assure you the wear has nothing to do with quality of the install. I cannot believe the poor quality of a product from Robbins! Hopefully when I call them, they will warrenty it out and exchange it for an OEM style.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Any additional considerations with this top vs the standard Robbins top in relation to roll bars?
    -Elliott-
    -92 White A-Pkg (gone)
    -2011 Mazda3i

I love my robbins top buy one and have rogue install it... and sit back and enjoy
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y15...miata/don3.jpg
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y15...miata/don1.jpg
    99 miata 62k miles, only mod is tenzo rs-5 17 inch wheels, and black robbins top

I just had a steamline top with a glass rear window installed on my NA, and I really like the way it looks. But I can't get the darn thing to go down. It gets about half-way there and hangs up on the rear window. It's not too tight to latch, so I don't know why it seems too tight to put down. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
    Oh, well I've got two sevens, and two sevens beats a frush.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley Dawson View Post
    can't get the darn thing to go down. It gets about half-way there and hangs up on the rear window.
    I was wondering about those with glass. Have you tried pushing out on the bottom of the window from the inside? That may help it collapse and lay flat.

My dad picked up a top for my mom's Miata that only ran him 150 bucks. It seals well has a good plastic window in back to me looks just like the original top that was on there.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

I was wondering about those with glass. Have you tried pushing out on the bottom of the window from the inside? That may help it collapse and lay flat.
    Yeah, I've tried all kinds of ways to manipulate the window and nothing seems to work. I'm going to quit messing with it for now, 'cause I don't want to damage anything.

Still, I seem to remember when I test-drove a new NB years ago that the top could just be put down without any unzipping or special considerations. I know that the bows have to be modified to use this top, but I'm sure that the installer knows his stuff and did it right. I'm going to wait until I can talk to him before trying anything else. Maybe it needs to stretch a bit more.

It's just bugs me having a new part and not knowing how to use it properly.
    Oh, well I've got two sevens, and two sevens beats a frush.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley Dawson View Post
    I just had a steamline top with a glass rear window installed on my NA, and I really like the way it looks. But I can't get the darn thing to go down. It gets about half-way there and hangs up on the rear window. It's not too tight to latch, so I don't know why it seems too tight to put down. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
    I just installed an OEM 99 top on a 92 and had the same problem. What I with BR's help have found out is the rear most support bow was not pulling forward when the top was going down. If you pull that bow to the front of the car, it will fold smooth as silk. For some reason my NB top has no prob with this, but some of the other members here have to do the same thing.
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast