Thread: Race Tire Blues

Default Race Tire Blues

Well, I retrieved last year's A3S03's out of winter storage last night in preparation for Sunday's ER event. They felt hard as a rock, which does not suprise me because they were pretty much "gone" at the end of last season. So, knowing that I don't want to buy a set of A3SO4's because the new A3SO5's are suppose to be available at the end of April, I was considering going back to Autocrossers again. Wouldn't you know it, Hoosier has stopped making the Autocrossers! Kumho 710's were my next choice, but the only 13" size they make is 215, which won't fit on 9" wide rims. Looks like I'm doomed to run on the rock hard O3's for several months Anybody have any suggestions
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Do they still make Formula V?

Chuck

You might check the pointy board on the V710s. I think there are at least a few people using them on 8.5" wheels

Long term, I'd probably opt for narrower rim sections (your wheels are two-piece, right?), and V710s anyway. I haven't seen any published reports of when the A3S05 will be here, or what sizes will be available. The V710s are here, they're available, and the hype is true - these tires really do rock.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

That's something I hadn't thought about, Altiain. The Real wheels have become pretty pricey since I purchased my set, though. If I remember correctly, they ran $162 each about 3 years ago, but are about $275 now. Maybe I'll be lucky and the wheel half I would need to make my wheels 8" will be less than half the new wheel price
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

What about some real race slicks. Run DP against the Burn's in the MR2.
    Guess you will need a roll bar. Not sure what the current rules are for Solo DP if you can run the big rims. I never did read if they made P a SP friendly move.

Kumho does make a V700Escta in a 235x45/13 $113 each at the Tirerack.

Maybe a co-drive with some other CSP Miata until Hoo$ier$ come out. If they make them in 13's at all is still a big question.

TCB would run the old SO3's.