Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rollbar, race seats, broomstick test for HDPE/Autocross

Default Rollbar, race seats, broomstick test for HDPE/Autocross

Hi all,

I have decided to turn the miata into a dedicated HPDE/autocross car, so I am looking to purchase rollbar, seats and harnesses.

I read up on HDHC and HDHCHT, and leaning toward the HDHC due to its taller height to clear the broomstick test.

Does anybody know will I be under the HDHC hardtop bar if I get race seats bolt to the floor?

On the seats, I am looking at Ultrashield Rally Sports. Anyone have experience with them? Or know a place locally I can test fit?

BTW, I am 5'11, 145lbs with 30 instem.

Thanks in advance,

Alan
    Last edited by apex2apex; 04-26-2010 at 12:54 PM.
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

Blog Entries

You can drive out to Ultrashield just south of Tyler and they will find or build you one to fit. It sounds like you are long waisted like me. They built me a Rally with a 2" taller back. The only bad part was driving back out the next day because the seat was ready!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by creek; 04-26-2010 at 02:48 PM.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

TDR stocks an untrashield made just for the Miata. IIRC, Gary went out there and showed them what was needed for optimal rollbar clearance and harness placement. He should have at least 2 sizes there to test, as one of his cars has a pair of them in different sizes.

I will give TDR a call for my rollbar and race seats need.

Creek, how do you like the Ultrashield rally? How comfortable are they for a 3 hour drive with some padding added?
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

Quote Originally Posted by apex2apex View Post

Creek, how do you like the Ultrashield rally? How comfortable are they for a 3 hour drive with some padding added?
    No race seat is going to be comfortable during a 3 hour drive.
    Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    No race seat is going to be comfortable during a 3 hour drive.

I think the Sparco seat I had in my Miata was the most comfortable car seat I ever sat in, fit me like a glove. Only down side is I could not move around.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by apex2apex View Post

Remove your stock seat and sit on the floor for a three hour drive, slightly less comfortable than that.
    Last edited by creek; 04-26-2010 at 06:47 PM.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I think the Sparco seat I had in my Miata was the most comfortable car seat I ever sat in, fit me like a glove. Only down side is I could not move around.
    Kinda the point, isn't it?
    If you're addicted to cold turkey how do you stop?

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Kinda the point, isn't it?
    Yep, great for racing, not so good for long drives.

I bought a used Memoryfab seat from a member in Austin, I would have to say this has to be one of the most comfortable racing seat I have ever been in. Drove 5 hours to Hallett and back without a single complaint.

The Sparco I just put in my car would sit very low if you bolted it straight in - so low that I couldn't quite see over the wheel. I haven't had any extended seat time in it yet, but it sure feels comfy so far.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Rick,
    I used to have the old model in my old CRX. The seat is great on long drives but can be a pain to get out of.
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

Yeah I can tell it's going to be fun ingress/egress if the top's up...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

The Sparco Roadster (retail $600+ each) seats I have are very comfortable/livable. Only issue I have with it is its angled every so slightly to the left which puts pressure on my right knee when I drive for long distances. (Wouldn't be an issue if I had my cruise control hooked up; alas I am to lazy to look at it.) Its very easy to get in and out of, it has good padding and holds your body well. If aligned properly in your car it is a very nice seat; but it is not a full race seat as the side bolstering is low cut.

Blah blah blah!

My old Sparco seat was quite comfortable for long distances. I drove to Hallett and back in that seat more than once an d found it to be more comfortable than the OEM seats in my '99. I believe your track seat should be the most comfortable seat you own - if it isn't, it's going to distract you on the track.

FWIW, I find Ultrashield seats to be about as comfortable as sitting on a pile of rocks. YMMV, but I'd look for something different.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Test sit as many different seats as you can. Also, some seats are too wide to fit in a Miata without some modification. YMMV, as they say...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Thanks for all the tips guys!

I definitely want a comfortable seat, since I want to attend trackdays outside of the DFW area as well. It's tough to drive without A/C already.

Guess I will get a HDHCDD first, research and test fit seats till I find the right one.
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    FWIW, I find Ultrashield seats to be about as comfortable as sitting on a pile of rocks. YMMV, but I'd look for something different.
    I couldn't agree with you more, the only reason anyone buys those things is they are TCB friendly; but if your car is a dedicated track car its not a bad seat. But it provides nothing that I would call comfort.
    Blah blah blah!

I have a Corbeau Forza seat sitting in my room as a gamer chair. I've spent a lot of hours in that playing Forza III and Modern Warfare and it's a pretty comftrable seat. Theback isn't reclined that much but it's not horrible. I planned to run it for race days but have yet to pick up a Harness. And I also lack a roll bar to attach the harness to so that's another problem so I still hvaen't had it in the Miata. Just spent a lot of time sitting in it lol.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

I had the Sparco Chrono Road (not a full race seat, but a reclinable "street" seat, and it was more comfortable than most oem seats. Great support and side bolsters, and I'm similar in size to you. The make another version of the Chrono that is mroe race-oriented too. Also able to be mounted very low in the car.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast