Thread: Just got back from Colorado

Default Just got back from Colorado

This is why I own a Jeep.

Colorado 2010 Pics

Nice,
    I love Colorado, I try to make it at least once a year.

I know you were in the Durango/Silverton/Ouray area because of the train and some of the mining pics, but where was your offroad driving? Was is the Alpine loop in that area?

I have spent a lot of time at the Taylor Park area with my ATV's, we would go and camp for a week and ride about 400 miles, to Aspen and down to Tin Cup ect on some pretty difficult and boulder laden trails. I will be up there in late August and I plan to rent a jeep for a day and do the Alpine loop (easier from what I have heard at least) or may do some of the more difficult stuff around Taylor Park.

Nice pics, it sure is hot here!

Beautiful pictures. I love Colorado.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

where in colorado did you go? i use to go to lake city a long time ago every summer for the 4th of july and it was a blast. wish i could go back

The off-road pics were taken on the following areas:
    1) Clear Lake trail, NW of Silverton
    2) Road to Animas Forks (Eureka Mine Site)
    3) Molas Pass on 550
    4) Bolam Pass behind Durango Mountain Resort (used to be Purgatory)
    5) Missionary Ridge NE of Durango

Missionary Ridge was the site of a huge wildfire in 2002. The recovery of the area was impressive in 8 years. Ground cover has grown back in and trees are growing back.

There's a reason my family goes to Colorado every summer. It's a beautiful place with some of the most awe-inspiring vistas ever created. If I could afford it, I'd move there permanently.

How'd you enjoy the Durango & Silverton? I've done it twice now (the 1st was during the fire and they stopped halfway to Silverton and headed back), and need to go back again to get more pictures. I'd like to do it in the fall when the trees are turning.

"The fact is that if you want a sports car, the MX-5 is perfect. Nothing on the road will give you better value.
    Nothing will give you so much fun. The only reason I’m giving it five stars is because I can’t give it 14." - Jeremy Clarkson

'04 Mazdaspeed MX-5 #1682, Velocity Red born 3/17/2004 Habanero
    Hard Dog HCHTDD, 15x8 Silver 6UL, 225/45 Hankook RS3, Tein Flex, More coming soon...

Loved the train but it is a long day when you finally get back to town.

Blog Entries

The best time of year to hit Silverton is during bow season in the fall. Summer tourists are gone and the rifle hunters aren't crowding the place. It used to be a struggle with the two stroke dirt bikes at that altitude but the new four stroke fuel injected bikes make it easy. Now if I could just get my old lungs fuel injected....
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Nice, indeed. Beautiful photo, also. Thank you.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Very nice, thanks for sharing the photos. Did you just run into the two old jeeps on the trail? They both go WAY back.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    Very nice, thanks for sharing the photos. Did you just run into the two old jeeps on the trail? They both go WAY back.
    No, they belong to friends of mine. The one with the Green CJ-5 lives in Durango. The white CJ-3A belongs to a guy who lives in Colorado Springs.

Great photos. Lived in Leadville, Co. for 10 yrs. working at Copper Mountain. Of course, the summers are short. :) 8 months of snow, and 4 months of crappy ski conditions.
    I use to worry about money; but then realized I don't HAVE anything to worry about.

I'm glade to see that the pine bettle is not as bad as in the Leadville area.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...