Thread: Ultra shield dealers in the area for test fitting

Default Ultra shield dealers in the area for test fitting

Hey everyone, I am going to need to get some lower seats in the s2000 to improve my driving position.

I am running into problems finding a seat that will work. The s2000 does not have much room for seats with wide wings, and I need a biggish seat to fit my biggish arse.

I have come across the ultra shield spec miata seat and feel that the lack of wings could make it a winner.

Does anyone know a place where I can test fit in one to check my size?

Also is there any reason why I could not put the seat on sliders to allow for codrivers? I have no knowledge of these aluminum seats other than that they need some form of a backing plate.

Track Dog Racing is a dealer

Linkie:
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Not sure if Gary keeps them on hand, though. The good news is Ultrashield is headquartered just down the road in Tyler.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Bad news is that Ultrashield seats are uncomfortable as shit. YMMV.

Search s2ki.com - there are brackets available that will lower the stock seat and retain the slider mechanism.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Bad news is that Ultrashield seats are uncomfortable as shit. YMMV.

Search s2ki.com - there are brackets available that will lower the stock seat and retain the slider mechanism.
    I know there are brackets to just lower the stock seat but I figure if I buy brackets I might as well get brackets and seats because the car will need them eventually.

They are a give and take relationship when it comes to comfort. But as for doing what they are intended for, they can't be beat for price and availability. Most of us have added bits of extra padding, and that goes a long way with their functionality. Memory Fab is also a good seat, but don't know how hard they are to find now.
    I use to worry about money; but then realized I don't HAVE anything to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    I know there are brackets to just lower the stock seat but I figure if I buy brackets I might as well get brackets and seats because the car will need them eventually.
    It's your money.

I daily drove a car with a race seat for a month or two. I found it to be a royal PITA. The seat was comfortable enough once you got into it, but getting in and out wasn't fun, especially with the top up.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

For a seat you are going to be spending a lot of time in, spend the extra money and get a better one, like a Sparco. Like altiain said race seats have a few down sides for DD use. You cannot move around in them, that's great for racing but can be a pain on long drives.

For STR don't forget they need to be 25 lbs with mounting hardware. I think it's 25 lbs but haven't looked at the rules.

I found these on the S2000 board, don't know if you will fit. It may be hard finding a seat that fits you and the S2000.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=833841

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    You could just do what I do and keep the race seat in the garage until needed. My Sparco is comfy enough, but it's kind of a bitch on long drives - no room to move, and it's a little too upright. Like altiain said, a race seat is a pain in the ass for ingress/egress - especially because you'll probably end up using the 5-point harness with it. You know what else is fun? Getting all strapped in then realizing your keys are still in your pocket.

Huge pain in the ass.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Yeah, the weight limit is 25 with all mounting equipment etc... I would go with a sparco, but my thighs get pinched off in the evo 2 and I really doubt a evo 3 will fit in the car.

i empty my pockets before i sit down, (sometimes wallet too) long drives are bearable in a comfortable seat which is a given but sometimes you just wanna recline the seats back for strange/crazy/unusual reasons... It's also more difficult for people to drive your car. I also dont enjoy driving across the street due to how long it takes to get in and put on my 5pt harness just to cross the street. Oh and if you and your friends ever go to your cars to leave say, like a restaurant at the same time, theyre gonna be out of their parking spot before you due to more time involved getting in and putting on your harness... It IS a pita yet i still do it and and may even do it again. :p

On track there is no substitution for race seats. I have the Bride and I love them. It does take a couple more minutes to get in and out and latch down the harness.
    Gabriel

I went to Vick Racing in SE Ft Worth and test sat a couple of Ultra Shield seats. Paid less than I would have by going direct to Ultra Shield.

Ultra Shield is in Tyler, so you could always call them and drive out there
    Last edited by nealb; 12-18-2010 at 02:38 PM.
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)