Thread: Carfax access

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Default Carfax access

Anyone out there have a Carfax subscription? I have a VIN I'd like to check out please.

No access here, but I'm curious what you're looking at.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    No access here, but I'm curious what you're looking at.
    I'd bet is a '99 sport!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Happy to oblige! I was told about a '91 BRG that is being sold by the son of a co-worker. The downside is the car is in Missouri. It also has a salvage title, but I've seen pics, and the car is nice!

116K miles, interior-top-body perfect (yet to verify all of that). Is has been painted, but back to original BRG. Supposedly previously owned by president of Kansas City Miata club. I checked the VIN and it is out of the range of the short-nose crank problem. Has 16" Borbet wheels (which would be gone!), Racing Beat intake. Tan top w/glass window and boot.

I can't FTP any pics from work thanks to our firewall. What are your (everyone) thoughts on a salvage?

I wouldn't worry to much about a salvage title on a '91... An '01, yes, but not a '91...

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    What are your (everyone) thoughts on a salvage?
    Depends on what it's salvaged for but make sure you buy it for a really good price as Salvage titled cars are harder to sell and sometimes impossible to insure. Check with your insurance provider before purchasing it.

Otherwise, if it's clean, repaired well, cheap and insurable it could be a good deal. Don't expect much resale though.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

droptop makes some good points.

I'd also want to know what the original reason for the salvage was. If it was a flood damaged car, I'd probably just walk away, as flood damage electrical gremlins can be a nightmare to track down and fix properly. Also, in the case of a non-galvanized car body (like a Miata), flood damage can lead to unseen structural rust problems.

If it was totalled in a shunt, I'd want to get it on a frame machine and make sure the frame is reasonably true before I drove/flew out to Missouri to buy it. Either way, I'd want to have it checked over mechanically.

However, if it wasn't a flood car, the frame was reasonably straight, your insurance agent doesn't laugh when you call him and a good price can be had, then go for it.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    droptop makes some good points.
    Which scares me alot!

But he is correct the first POS Racer had a salvage title I got it real cheap and sold it real cheap. Insurance wasn't an issue, but I only had liability and uninsured motorist on it.

If you can't get it for less than 1/2 of what the loan value is on it walk away.

Oh also no reputable institute will finance a salvage titled vehicle, but I know a guy named Vinny whos could helps ya!

Yea you might have to get an unsecured loan for a car that old, salvaged or not.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Thanks for your thoughts guys, I appreciate it! I've emailed the seller asking why it has a salvage title, but I think I've already decided to walk away from it.
    There will be other opportunities and I've got a good one now! I usually go thru my toys quickly (5 motorcycles in 5 years), so I don't want to be stuck with an albatross. YAlbatrossMV.