Thread: Front Bumper Suggestions

Default Front Bumper Suggestions

Today I took off the Miata bra for the first time since buying it and I noticed that the front bumper is damaged. It seems like one of the previous owners got into an accident which was not reported because it wasn't on the carfax. The damage seems affect the bumper, undertray, headlight seems to be mis-aligned a bit, and so is the hood. Both headlights looks okay, so I will be replacing the hood and bumper.

So I am looking for suggestions on a new bumper. I was thinking about getting the OEM sport version bumper (the one with the foglights) or OEM bumper with no foglight (the one I currently have). Then purchase a replacement hood.

I would like any suggestions on other bumpers or where to get the OEM ones for cheap.

Thanks,
    Dave

Note: I am also looking for a stock shif knob.
    Last edited by Inconsiderate; 06-07-2011 at 07:45 PM.
    In the Garage:

2011 Ford Shelby GT500 SVTPP - Weekend Warrior
    1994 Mazda RX-7 - Project/Track Car
    1999 Mazda Miata - Daily

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

I have a stock 99 with no fogs but it's blue and nasty so it will need repainting. seeing as you will have to get what ever you buy painted anyway it might be worth your wide.

pics of the hood damage, if miner then might want for the race car.

I will post pics of the front tomorrow. I'm not sure if the hood is damaged or mis aligned, that or its because of the headlights.

Thanks,
    Dave
    In the Garage:

1999 Mazda Miata - Daily

Here are the pcitures but it doesn't show it that well.

Here you can see the gap around the bottom bumper (notice the gap from hood and bumper and from headlight housing)

This one you can see it more clearly

A side view of the gaps and bumper sitting a little lower

Here is the front view of damages

Top view of driver side where hood overlaps the headlight a little bit.

I know from these pictures they dont look that bad but in person you can notice the damages more easily.
    In the Garage:

1999 Mazda Miata - Daily

Looks like you may have some issues under the fenders and hood.

How does the hood line up at the windshield? How do things look under the hood?

Maybe put the bra back on that one. ;-(

The panel gaps look pretty dang obvious even in the photos. Either the last person who worked on that body didn't spend much time or effort on it, or they did.

If they didn't, you can possibly adjust most of it back into good shape. If they did, you won't likely get it to line up any better without some alignment work being done to the front clip. In the latter scenario, a new bumper skin won't look any better than your current one (albeit perhaps with less dents and newer paint)

As for replacement suggestions, I am partial to the '99-'00 front end WITHOUT fog light holes. I added the Garage Vary front lip and eyelids to my old '99 (link to pics is in my signature for reference). If you want a total change I would go with the NB2 front bumper and projector headlamps. It'll cost you a pretty penny, but many folks like the updated aesthetics.

Good luck!

POS Racing,

I will take a look under the hood/fenders tomorrow and see if everything is okay. The last time I looked I didn't notice anything bent or misaligned, at least around the headlight housing and the fenders.

Mk2tmr2,

I think I will replace the front bumper with the OEM '99 with no fog lights. I like your setup on the '99. It is very clean looking and simple. I don't plan on spending too much on the Miata, but I do want her to look good though.

I asked the shop that is doing the repair on my GT500 and got an estimate on re-doing the miata front and painting it. He said it would be around 200-500 based on if there are any damage or not. Although I will try to do it myself first before taking it to any shop.

Thanks,
    Dave

Note: GT500 got rear-ended in a hit and run a few weeks back on I-30. That is why she is getting repaired.
    In the Garage:

1999 Mazda Miata - Daily

So I went out earlier today and checked under the hood but didn't check under the bumper. I did not notice any bends or twist to the frame, body, or brackets. I haven't had the time to actually take off the bumper and headlights to see what the real damage is underneath everything. I tried moving the headlights but they are in place and do not move. Fenders seems to be okay and not damaged.

I am hoping that its just a simple thing to fix after taking off the bumper and headlights.

Oh and I did notice that my undertray is damaged and so is the air flow guide that connects to the undertray. So I am guessing one of the previous owners ran up into a curb or something and messed up the undertray and bumper.
    In the Garage:

1999 Mazda Miata - Daily