Thread: Quality tuners

Default Quality tuners

I thought this was interesting, interesting enough to share.

An e-friend bought MSpnp for his turbo Miata and took it to a tuner. The car ran like shit, shot fire, smoked enough to kill mosquitos, bucked, stalled and part throttle, and made terrible numbers. He also paid $800 for a 4-hour tune that looks like this:

I don't know who did the work, and don't want to because I'd probably end-up in court over slander or something to that effect.

This is my car:

See the smooth, parabolic shape of the spark table and the smooth, linear progression on the fuel? It only took me 45-minutes at the most.

So for all of you that say "stand alone doesn't work right" it's mostly because you're paying for stuff like this. The guy in question might get me to tune his car when he finds some money again.

TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

So what are you charging for tuning services? I may be changing to a MS-PNP in the future.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Right now I'm only doing it for friends for a couple reason. I'm only "proficient" in MegaSquirt; I've used a few others like Adaptronic and Haltech, but those are still foreign to me. Liability is the big one. I don't have a insurance rider so if I screw up or something goes wrong in the car, I'm not protected from liability. All it takes is one person who fills the car up with the wrong fuel or jacks with the tune or static spark time and I could have a lawsuit on my hands.

all you really have to do is have a signed and dated document stating that if they choose to put the wrong fuel in the vechicle and/or alter your tune and have their engine fail because of it you are not liable for the damage.

But still, there are enough jackasses in the world that would bitch and moan and make life difficult for someone without insurance. Here's a "what if" for ya: What if Trey tunes a car for Steve Douchelick. Mister Douchelick puts the right gas in it and doesn't touch the tune, but proceeds to blow it up anyhow - perhaps because he changes his oil once every 5 years and has never done any maintenance on his POS. He returns to Trey and says, "Buy me an engine." Not good times.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

oh there are tons of jackasses out there for sure, thats why you have to try and think of EVERYTHING that those jackasses do including wrong fuel selection, mistreatment, neglection... all that hooplah. what i would say is if something like that was to happen, you make sure you do your own research with as much documentation as you can to find out if it was the tune or if they fucked up their own car.

Driver

Good god that tune looked like ASS!!!! That's why I learned to tune my own cars long ago so I don't have to pay or Be pissed off if the motor blew on the dyno...

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin96M View Post
    So what are you charging for tuning services? I may be changing to a MS-PNP in the future.
    If you don't make it on Trey's friends list then we recommend Steve Kan in Lewisville. It will cost you but he does amazing work, tell him I and/or johnwag sent you. I have more faith in Trey's skill then he does and would have had him do my car if he was more willing to learn adaptronic at the time.

+1 for steve kan
    Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_man View Post
    If you don't make it on Trey's friends list then we recommend Steve Kan in Lewisville. It will cost you but he does amazing work, tell him I and/or johnwag sent you. I have more faith in Trey's skill then he does and would have had him do my car if he was more willing to learn adaptronic at the time.
    Steve is still learning MS and I'd love to help him out for some dyno time in trade. He's learning the interface, the man knows how to tune a car and he and I share similar philosophies...and he's educated, I'm not.

I wish MS3x were around a year ago and we could have VVT and sequential fuel/spark on your car. I'm about to order 3 MS3x's too and getting some custom 12+1(30*) wheels cut through a friend so we can simplify the install.