Thread: Good back roads to drive from DFW to Austin?

Default Good back roads to drive from DFW to Austin?

Hi guys,

We took a trip down to Marble Falls a few weeks ago, and I really enjoyed taking 281 down there instead of slogging down I-35 with a million idiots... er, "motorists" parked in the left lane.

I'm going to Austin next weekend and I'm taking the S2000. Although 35 is the most direct route, I'd rather take some extra time, put the top down, and take the back roads.

Any suggestions on a good route, or roads I ought to include between here and DFW?

Keep in mind I live in Plano, so I don't want to really start the drive by cutting all the way across the Metromess to get there. Thanks!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

There are several choices for getting to it, but 77 south from Waco is a pretty drive compared to 35, and drops you not-too-far from the side of town COTA is on. I'd guess that shooting down the east side of DFW, then finding a back way to Waco would be good.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

On 281, to skip some of the congestion around Hico and Cleburne, you can go from Cleburne -> 174-> Meridian-> 22 -> Hamilton. Very nice road, fast but with some hills and curves.

From I35, you can go from Waco to Gateseville on 84, then start south again on 116 towards Copperas cove, then peel off onto 580 towards Lampasas. That route has some tighter twists.

I35 just blows chunks especially northbound on Sundays, avoid at all costs.