Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coilover Question

Default Coilover Question

I have tried to make sense of the rules on suspension changes but can't seem to get anywhere. My simple question is are any type of Coilovers allowable in the Stock category? I've been told that Coilovers could reduce my time by about 1 sec. However if the coilovers take me from the stock class to the Street or Modified classes, the increased indexing will wipe out that second plus add time. My 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo is basically stock except for some exhaust and intake changes. My 20 Year old stock Turbo is never going to be able to keep up in the Street or Modified classes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

You can't change from OEM springs (or intake for that matter) and remain Stock class in SCCA. You may legally change your shocks.

I do not see your MR2 Turbo allowed in any Street Touring classes, so if you want to add coilovers (or any spring change) and stay SCCA legal, then you will have to go with Street Prepared (specifically ASP).

From what I gathered I can either change to ASP / SSM / FP.

I thought intake is allowable as long as it's still in the same position and no new openings have been created.

So if I'm allowed to change shocks, couldn't I then install coilovers as long as the springs are the same rate as the OEM?

Yep the intake moves you to at least ASP, just put the stock one back on for SCCA/ER events if you still have it.

Coilovers are legal in stock as long as you use the STOCK springs in the stock location (no lowering).

Aftermarket springs would only be legal if the are the same as OEM in every way, length, number of coils, material, dia. ect.

Quote Originally Posted by BatoLoco13 View Post
    From what I gathered I can either change to ASP / SSM / FP.

I thought intake is allowable as long as it's still in the same position and no new openings have been created.

So if I'm allowed to change shocks, couldn't I then install coilovers as long as the springs are the same rate as the OEM?
    You'd have to weld the spring perches at OEM height and springs would have to be OEM.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    You'd have to weld the spring perches at OEM height and springs would have to be OEM.
    They do not have to be welded, just set at OEM height.

The only reason I want to put the coilovers on the car is to have a fighting chance against all the All Wheel Drive / Electronic Stabilized Grocery Haulers. But the only way to do that is if I add a bigger turbo, bigger jets, bigger fuel pump & of course get rid of the 15" wheels with the coilovers. Oh yeah and the cone filter ... LOL. So it's a case of spend nothing and stay at a disadvantage or spend lots and compete against the Vetts and other super cars. Disappointing but Interesting. Thanks for everyone's input. I do appreciate it. As you can tell I'm new to the Autocross scene and am enjoying the competition and people despite the weekend beatings I'm taking.

It's much cheaper to just buy a Miata.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

You car is perfectly competitive as is. Focus on improving your driving and forget about mods. The only thing I would spend money on is a good set of street tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
    You car is perfectly competitive as is. Focus on improving your driving and forget about mods. The only thing I would spend money on is a good set of street tires.
    I put the Rivals on the car early in the season. Shaved 3 seconds off my time. And I'm too darn old to Improve ... all down hill

That car responds well to a sway bar change. That is a legal change in stock. The proper alignment makes a big difference also.

Davidss had a car like yours and drove it well at events. He might have some alignment suggestions.

It is the type of car that takes seat time to get the most out of it. Not as easy to drive as a Miata.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BatoLoco13 View Post
    As you can tell I'm new to the Autocross scene and am enjoying the competition and people despite the weekend beatings I'm taking.
    What David said. If you are new to autocross the car is not the limiting factor, the driver is. Leave the car alone (other than tires) and spend all that money burning a hole in your pocket on seat time instead.

When you think you've reached the limits of what the car is capable of and you're ready to throw money at it... grab someone from the top 10 in PAX results and ask them to co-drive your car at an event. If you can get within a second of their time, then you can spend money on parts and it might make an impact.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by general default View Post
    That car responds well to a sway bar change. That is a legal change in stock. The proper alignment makes a big difference also.

Davidss had a car like yours and drove it well at events. He might have some alignment suggestions.

It is the type of car that takes seat time to get the most out of it. Not as easy to drive as a Miata.
    I've traded out the 19mm bars for 22mm front and back. Also replaced the 20 year old rubber bushing with Poly. That took care of the understeer the care suffered from. Haven't touched the alignment yet. Was waiting to see if I was going to make any other adjustments to the supension before I had her re-aligned. Instead of coilovers maybe I'll just get some adjustable shocks. The current ones are 20 years old ... probably need to be replaced anyways.

As far as seat time. I've owned the car for 19 years ... LOL ... I know you mean't autocrossing seat time ... just had to say it.

You may want to print out the stock class rules for a reference - http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...ated%205-1.pdf

Section 13 is all about stock class.

The hot autox stock setup on a 2nd gen MR2 is basically koni yellows, ST front swaybar (stock rear), and maxed out camber.

Yeah, your car is already beyond stock class. Can't change both sway bars, can't use aftermarket intake, no headers, etc. Stock springs on some Konis to replace your surely-blown OEM shocks will help you. Then alignment and tires.

One of the biggest rookie mistakes is trying to make the wrong car competitive by upgrading and spending. Learn to be fast with a few adjustments and tires, then drive it until you are beating cars you shouldn't. At that point, you are ready to buy the right car, or prep yours for a class it can win in.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

When did they sneak the MR2 Turbo MK2 in to C-Stock? It was in A-Stock for ever.

Just come out and enjoy hitting the boost. Have some fun in the car.
    But the next event you should not be in C-Stock.

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Yeah, your car is already beyond stock class. Can't change both sway bars, can't use aftermarket intake, no headers, etc. Stock springs on some Konis to replace your surely-blown OEM shocks will help you. Then alignment and tires.

One of the biggest rookie mistakes is trying to make the wrong car competitive by upgrading and spending. Learn to be fast with a few adjustments and tires, then drive it until you are beating cars you shouldn't. At that point, you are ready to buy the right car, or prep yours for a class it can win in.
    Unfortunately this is the position I'm in as a result of upgrading the car without thinking about autox (or intending to get into the sport until a long time from now). Now I'm forced into a class (STR) that neither the car nor driver are competitive in. However I'm hooked and having a blast. Soon I'll get an LSD, tires, and a tune.
    '09 Marble White

Don't forget that there are other clubs that base their classes solely on engine size and street tires or r-comps, so changes such as intakes, sway bars, and coilovers do not affect your classing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast