Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on BFG Rival

Default Opinions on BFG Rival

I'm about to order some 9" wheels for this season and as you guys probably know, the 225 R-S3's are all gone. I know a lot of you have moved to the Rivals, and I just wanted some opinions on them vs. the R-S3. I know they're supposed to be better under braking and have a stiffer sidewall, easier to drive, etc, but I guess I'm not completely convinced they're quite as fast as the Hankooks, especially in the heat. My dilemma is whether to either get some 225 rivals, or sit and wait for the revised R-S3's to come out (Which may not happen for a long time, given Hankook's past).

tl;dr: If you moved from R-S3's to Rivals, what's your opinion?
    Last edited by rmonheim; 02-10-2014 at 11:09 PM.
    Now Miata-less. '05 STR S2000.
    Texas A&M Grassroots and Formula SAE Driver

The Rivals are great. Waiting on the Kooks might not be a terrible thing, but its a gamble. If heat is a concern, think a little more about the Kumho XS. Very underrated tire, and just as good as the others up until that last 0.1 or so.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

The Rivals are great for cooler temps, but once it gets hot, give me RS-3s!

Ozmdd is right about the Kumhos. Very underrated hot weather tire.

On my S2000, I was not a fan of the Rival. I found them hard to find where the limit was and once I pasted the limit almost impossible to catch without a DNF. They will take a large slip angle but if you push them too far on an S2000 you are going around. They are still faster in cool temps and good on the first run, so a better choice in cool temps. Warm weather give me RS-3’s.

Good point about the Kumho's but I noticed they have a 180 TW rating. What class implications does this have?
    '09 Marble White

As I understand they are good for this year, may not be next year in ST and Street classes.

Any more word on the RS-3 replacement? I'm quite happy with my current set, but they'll need replacing later this season.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

From what I've heard it's just an update not a full blown replacement
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

Quote Originally Posted by driftdevil View Post
    From what I've heard it's just an update not a full blown replacement
    I heard just a part number change, no change to the tire. Will be back in the spring.

This may or may not be good info. (I read it on the internet so it must be true

I'm quite happy with the current tires. I managed FTD-1 (stupid General Default) at the NTAXS winter event on 2 year old RS-3s that have been stored through two winters unbagged in an unheated garage (yay for laziness!). I'd be happy to buy more if I could get them.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I also will stick with the RS3's if they become available again. I like the Rival, but the Toyos are the only other tire I plan to run this year unless the Kooks dont return.
    Polished Turd Racing

^ what about the R1R's (I assume) do you like? I was under the impression that they don't handle the heat well. I'm asking because I'm about to buy my first set of autox tires. Had planned on Rivals.
    '09 Marble White

No, they don't handle heat well at all, but they stick like crazy on the very first run, even in the cold. They are extremely recoverable tires as well. I plan to use them for specific early-season events and in the fall. I hated them on the NC, but the 195 for the NA can be shaved to eliminate the squirm without losing the good compound.

Rivals are a fine choice. With the Kooks being unavailable, I'd expect a run on Rivals (the most similar equivalent) so don't wait too long to order.
    Polished Turd Racing

Good to know, thanks. I'm planning to get 225/45 Rivals for my 17x8's.

8's vs 9's is a different conversation, but the car will still be way faster than I am.
    Last edited by neirbot; 02-12-2014 at 05:21 PM.
    '09 Marble White

I have 4. 1/2 used 225/45 17's Rivals I would be willing to sell.

I need to look at them before I can give you a price on them.

I changed cars and I don't think they will work real well on a Z06.
    Last edited by Robert; 02-12-2014 at 05:36 PM.

Sure, I may be interested. Thanks.
    '09 Marble White

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I'm quite happy with the current tires. I managed FTD-1 (stupid General Default) at the NTAXS winter event on 2 year old RS-3s that have been stored through two winters unbagged in an unheated garage (yay for laziness!). I'd be happy to buy more if I could get them.
    Jo-Jo did you hack this account?
    M3 is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I have 4. 1/2 used 225/45 17's Rivals I would be willing to sell.

I need to look at them before I can give you a price on them.

I changed cars and I don't think they will work real well on a Z06.
    Come on - DO IT, Robert! Plenty of tire!

Tread depth on 2 is around .16 with minimal edge wear , the 2 other are around .10 with quite a bit of edge wear, I would put the on the rear or flip them on the rim. 2 of them have some tread splice separation that is a common cosmetic defect on the Rivals and shouldn’t be a problem. New tread depth is .225. I would take $150 for all 4 picked up in McKinney, or at my job in Plano between 9a.m-6p.m.

Edit

Neirbot does not want them so if anybody else wants them shot me a PM.
    Last edited by Robert; 02-13-2014 at 10:26 AM.

If only they were 15s! Sigh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast