Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Header on the way

I'm sure that shuhart1 will chime in shortly, but you will lose torque if you install the larger midpipe. I'd wait until adding boost - and probably still stick with the stock midpipe.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Does that mean I will lose HP too?
    The car already seems to not have as much torque as yours and Majiks, not sure why,..it just does not seem to pull as hard.
    I guess I am going to be stuck for a long time with this since my wife is never going to let me spend the kind of money I need for the pull I want...ie Turbo or SC.
    I guess i will just have to deal with it, my hope was to gain a LITTLE more torque from the I/H/M/E but I guess I was wrong.
    The Muffler made a noticible difference, but Header...NO
    I know there is a huge diffrence in NA and FI but I just can't afford that kind of spending for a long time.
    But the car still handles real good (bright side).

Oh well I still got my cool Orange rims...thats good for a couple of HP...lol
    99 Miata Black

The midpipe might add a few horsepower between 6500 & 7000 rpms, but you're looking for the kick in the butt of torque.

The Racing Beat header is designed for maximum horsepower (at the expense of torque) and probably cost you a few pounds below 6000 rpm.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

If you want to boost the midrange torque, Billy, what you really need are a couple of heavy duty muffler bearings to go with that new muffler.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    If you want to boost the midrange torque, Billy, what you really need are a couple of heavy duty muffler bearings to go with that new muffler.
    In the wise words of the Budweiser commercial... True... True... That or a V8...

I bought some of their cross-drilled brake lines for my mother-in-law for Mother's Day... They worked great!

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    And don't forget to make sure you don't have any build up on your canooter weep hole!

I don't understand why Tailchaser car got a hp bump from the Header but yours didn't that just seems strange.........

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    And don't forget to make sure you don't have any build up on your canooter weep hole!

I don't understand why Tailchaser car got a hp bump from the Header but yours didn't that just seems strange.........
    Pay attention, Mick... He probably *did* get a HP bump... just not a midrange torque bump. In fact, 4:1 header theory says he probably got a slight drop in midrange torque.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Pay attention, Mick... He probably *did* get a HP bump... just not a midrange torque bump. In fact, 4:1 header theory says he probably got a slight drop in midrange torque.
    I thought I was paying attention!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    2nd I can't tell that much of a change if any.

POS is right, then again You may both be right.
    I may have a small and I mean small, HP gain but if I do its so small I just simply dont notice any difference.
    I am reving it not quite to the rev limiter but to around 6500 RPM's and it seems the same to me.
    I would like someone with more experience with these cars to take mine for a spin, maybe its not the same from the passenger seat but the two 99's I have ridden in seem to pull way harder than mine has...since i got it.
    I think I have a Gremlin, I also have changed the plugs again just to see if that might help a freak miss, replaced with Bosch Platinum 4's this time...still missing.
    I have replaced the plug wires too, I am starting to wonder if this might be robbing me of some HP, but I dont know whats causing it.
    or maybe it has something to do with that clutch rattle, I know I have to rev the car up before releasing the clutch or it takes off like a lawnmover, seems like a decent lag in rpm gauge from the time I push the gas down it takes a couple of seconds to catch up unless I already have the rpms above say 2500rpms.
    It makes my head hurt.
    99 Miata Black

Sitting in the passenger seat always feels faster because you can't anticipate what's going to happen. Also, don't rely on the butt dyno, it's notoriously wrong. All these NA mods really don't usually add up to much, just save your money for FI if you're looking for a fast car.

Saving weight will probably make a bigger difference than adding a midpipe on your car.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I take all of that back, go get some nitrous, that'll solve all your power problems.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I am for sure not interested in Nitrous.
    I love my car, I guess I am just used to the way that my V8's performed.
    However this car is much more nimble, but the 96 Stang wern't bad...lol
    I have looked at the entry level VooDoo turbo, and the SC with the MP45.
    40 extra HP is a lot.
    Either way, I still would have to get a stronger clutch etc etc to prepare for the extra HP, so I don't go and break something.
    Maybe in a year or two I will get there til then I will just have fun driving the car, it's a great, fun little car.
    99 Miata Black

The Header is starting to mellow out a little, even though it is still quieter than the other set-up it seems to have more steady grumble if that makes since.
    I have noticed as Majik stated that it performs better on cooler days so I am thinking of riggin something up to get the intke on the cold side and maybe like a ram air type,... not sure yet.
    99 Miata Black

BILLY.....I found one....
    Last edited by riverracer; 05-17-2005 at 09:45 AM.
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123