Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rival or R-S3?

Default Rival or R-S3?

Which one will you buy if you only track and base on $$/performance. Rival has a rebate expiring in a couple of days. Basically, here are the deals from Tire Rack:

Rival 225/45/17 set of 4 = $446 (after rebate)
    R-S3 235/45/17 set of 4 = $568 (regular price)

Will you take the rebate and buy the Rival or keeping the $$ in the pocket and get the R-S3 later given you don't need the tires right the way?
    Gabriel

I think they are similar enough performance-wise that I'd just buy the better deal. RS-3's will last a little longer than Rivals, but not enough to justify $120 if you aren't competing.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Get the RS3. An updated rival may be coming early next year.
    Last edited by Davidss; 09-18-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Can you get the Rival at 235 width? I have 225's and feel they don't grip well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Can you get the Rival at 235 width? I have 225's and feel they don't grip well enough.
    In what situations? I was considering them as a replacement for my RA1's since I'm mostly street.

A lot of it comes down to personal preference, and the car. Some tires work better on some cars than others. I prefer the RS-3’s over the Rivals on an S2000.

This is assuming for track or autocross use. I wound not pick either for a street tire.

I hadn't seen complaints about Rival grip b4 so was curious about the context. Hadn't considered the Hanhooks. Are most having better experince with them in the same sizes? Or is it the availability of the larger size?

For me they were the same size. They both have good grip, I just did not like the Rivals feel or breakaway characteristic once past the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    For me they were the same size. They both have good grip, I just did not like the Rivals feel or breakaway characteristic once past the limit.
    No notice b4 letting loose? I'm always dealing with the edge of traction in the rear (LS3) but looking for a bit more tire life than the RA1s i'm running.

OP...sorry about the thread jack...I'm bad about that...

They will take a very large slip angle with no problem, but if you try and push them just a little farther they let lose big time and I found them almost impossible to catch once past the limits. I also found it hard to find where that line was. This is on an S2000 which can be a little twitchy. I read on the S2K forum one of the top guys had the same experience with them on his S2000, but he loved them on his boost buggy.

RS-3 has more grip, in my opinion, and will outlast a Rival. I too dislike the breakaway characteristics of the Rival compared to RS3, but that's a pretty minor distinction if the car is used mostly for occasional track days, as opposed to full-blown competition/autox, where very subtle differences come into play. The Rival has better grip at lower temps and is grippy on the first lap. Doesnt handle heat as well as RS3. I do agree that 225/235 is on the small side for an NC. There is a substantial gain to be had at the 245/255 widths, assuming 8-9" wheels.
    Polished Turd Racing

Rivals support American jobs. They're made in Alabama.

I would wait though. EP tire wars are heating up. 1st gen Rival spurred the 2nd gen RS-3 which is now going to spur a further response from both BFG and an entry from Bridgestone. Likely to be some interesting choices next Spring if you can wait that long.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetball View Post

I would wait though. EP tire wars are heating up. 1st gen Rival spurred the 2nd gen RS-3 which is now going to spur a further response from both BFG and an entry from Bridgestone. Likely to be some interesting choices next Spring if you can wait that long.
    Yep, I think Dunlop has also came out with a new tire. People that like a very precise tire this may be a good choice for them. I need a less precise tire that’s more forgiving of bad driving.

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    ... I do agree that 225/235 is on the small side for an NC. There is a substantial gain to be had at the 245/255 widths, assuming 8-9" wheels.
    I have the 8' wheels, you think they play properly with my slightly lowered suspension and mild fender rolled? I love to have wider tires but is not sure they play nicely with my setup. At Hallett last week, my 4-years old 235 ZII Star Spec was tail happy. I have badly miss matched tires setup inherited from the PO. BFG Comp I in the front and ZII in the back! I am trying to "burn" them up as DD to give me excuse to get a new set down the road.

Looks like I better keep my $$ in my wallet till next season!
    Gabriel

That's a really brutal setup. I don't think you can learn anything other than what not to do from it. You had much better rear grip than front on that setup, so I would expect it to push on corner entry and go tail happy as you tried to power out of anything. Also, 4 yrs would be Z1's, which were a good tire, but that's old for sticky summer tires.

If you must burn them up to justify new ones, I get it, but I'd be ordering something fresh if its only $500 and sell off the old ones for $50 to someone in need.

Oh, to answer your question, I wouldnt want to go smaller than 235, and I think a 245 is still ok on that wheel. I don't see why you'd have any rubbing issues.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    That's a really brutal setup. I don't think you can learn anything other than what not to do from it. You had much better rear grip than front on that setup, so I would expect it to push on corner entry and go tail happy as you tried to power out of anything. Also, 4 yrs would be Z1's, which were a good tire, but that's old for sticky summer tires.

If you must burn them up to justify new ones, I get it, but I'd be ordering something fresh if its only $500 and sell off the old ones for $50 to someone in need.

Oh, to answer your question, I wouldnt want to go smaller than 235, and I think a 245 is still ok on that wheel. I don't see why you'd have any rubbing issues.
    Will the 255 works with my 8" wheels or I have to go down to 245? Thanks!
    Gabriel

I think all four corners need a roll for 245 and wider. They'll fit on an 8.

245s will definitely need a fender roll--especially up front. A lot will depend on ride height and camber set-ups.
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Currently I get Rivals because they have a stiffer side wall, closer to RRs, so my warm up/practice is closer to competition. They have a quicker turn in than the RS-3.
    But I really liked the RS-3s when it gets hot. The Rivals are not bad in the heat, just not as good as the RS-3.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

I'm not sure how low you are Gabriel. If you want to meet at Keller's or tdr sometime I can look and see. With camber, 245s fit pretty easily on an NC. 255 is a lot for 8"
    Polished Turd Racing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast