Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Busted

Default Busted

Hey ya'll... looky what our new graj-i-it is thinkin' 'bout gittin'

MB AMG C36
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Yeah, no kidding. That would be a very nice daily driver...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

A 10 year old Benz with almost 100,000 miles for $12,500.00!

What's the old saying about a fool and his money!

Kelly's blue book shows :

Texas • May 11, 2005
    1995 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C36 Sedan 4D

Engine: 6-Cyl. 3.6 Liter
    Trans: Automatic
    Drive: RWD
    Mileage: 100,000

Equipment
    Air Conditioning
    Power Steering
    Power Windows
    Power Door Locks
    Cruise Control
    AM/FM Stereo
    Cassette
    Bose Premium Sound
    Dual Front Air Bags
    ABS (4-Wheel)
    Leather
    Dual Power Seats
    Sliding Sun Roof
    Alloy Wheels

Consumer Rated Condition: Good
    "Good" condition means that the vehicle is free of any major defects. This vehicle has a clean title history , the paint, body and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems. There should be little or no rust on this vehicle. The tires match and have substantial tread wear left. A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail. Most consumer owned vehicles fall into this category.

Trade-In Value List Your Car For Sale Online $6,450
    Last edited by POS Racing; 05-11-2005 at 05:04 PM.

Where in God's name did you find that valuation?

You realize that those internet value calculators typically aren't worth a darn when it comes to specialty or rare cars, right? Just try finding one for $6500 in that condition. Heck, I'd pay you a finder's fee.

Yeah, I was curious about them. A friend of the family is selling his, the price is right, and it would be a cool daily driver. However, I'm not sure if I want another higher mileage car in the family, as my current higher-mileage car is nickel and diming me with little things on an ever-increasing basis (O2 sensor, suspension rebuild, alternator died tonight, etc.), and something tells me that if something went wrong with a C36 AMG, it would cost me a bundle to fix, even if I did the work myself.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    ...if something went wrong with a C36 AMG, it would cost me a bundle to fix...
    I can tell you that the costs of repairing a German car, even my lowly (lowly in comparison to the 5 pointed star) 6 year old Passat B5 with 120K miles, gets to be a very, very pricey endeavour. I sometimes think, "Volkswagen...the peoples' car... my foot!" Mind you, I do the maintenance myself, but there are many aspects of this car that are quite literally off limits to the shade tree mechanic... thankfully I have access to and am a very good friend of a great VW Technician.

there is a huge difference between kbb trade in value and actual trade in or retail or private party price. at work, some people want unreasonable amounts for their trade and say that kbb said it was worth xxx amount, well, is kbb buying your car?
    it goes the other way too, in the case of this car, it is definatley worth more than 6k.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Exclamation

Where in God's name did you find that valuation?
    Ah that would be Kelly's blue book trade in Value on that car, I'm sure the AMG adds maybe a couple grand, but if you were in a wreck I'm sure an insurance guy would find the same numbers I did.

But with almost 100,000 miles greatly offsets the value of the AMG badges.

KBB and the other valuation guys, end up being the benchmark that banks use for loans so their prices are actually pretty well followed by financial institutions. Now if you paying cash all bets are off, but I don't pay more than book value, but I am after all a Cheap Bastard!
    Last edited by POS Racing; 05-12-2005 at 08:25 AM.

I think if I totalled it and the insurance company tried to offer me $6500 for it, a quick call to my lawyer and a printout showing that there isn't a single one in the entire country for sale below $11k - regardless of mileage or what KBB thinks they're worth - would convince them of the error of their ways.

Meh. This is kinda on the back burner for the moment anyway. Gotta get the Sport fixed and make it through the weekend first. Even then I haven't decided if a 10 year-old Mercedes is what I want.

However Mick, the offer still stands - find me one in similar condition for sale for $6500, and I'll pay you a $500 finder's fee.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I think if I totalled it and the insurance company tried to offer me $6500 for it, a quick call to my lawyer and a printout showing that there isn't a single one in the entire country for sale below $11k - regardless of mileage or what KBB thinks they're worth - would convince them of the error of their ways.
    Not one you say?

Ouch...

Also, don't forget, say you don't total it in a wreck, but do bend some body panels (as in the majority of most accidents), remember that TC's VW Jetta cost him nearly 8G's... hell, to fix only the inner fender on my Passat B5 came close to $1500!!!

I can't imagine what a Merc body shop would want for it's replacement pieces. For this reason, I never bought the used Audi A8 I wanted before I picked up the B5... it's aluminium panels were outrageous...

Let me finish with this, it's your money my friend, and it's far from me to tell you what to do with it... for me though, unless I'm making enough to support the vehicle during it's stay with me, I won't buy it. Now, if I hit the lotto or suddenly start making a seven figure salary, then all bets are off!

I stand corrected. There is one.
    Iain

Actually, I appreciate the input, guys. I'd been focusing on more pedestrian forms of transport in the same price range (like '02-'03 Protege5s, and/or paying cash for an older EF Civic/CRX if I could find one in the right condition), but when this car came up in conversation, it piqued my interest. It's not so much an issue of can I afford to keep it running (as anyone who knew my FD RX-7 knew, I can sink ridiculous sums of money into old cars when they require it ) , it's more a matter of whether I want to buy a car that will likely require those sums on occasion.

Of course, thinking about the RX-7 reminds me that I sold it because it was a money pit, and even though the Miata is certainly no substitue for the FD, I've actually enjoyed it more because - at least until recently - it's been reliable and inexpensive.

I don't know. I'd still like to test drive it and see if it calls to me or not, but I'll probably let the logical side of my brain (and my marriage ) win out, and buy some slightly used crapbox appliance, even though that doesn't sound nearly as fun.
    Iain

Talking

I stand corrected. There is one.

FWIW, more banks go with NADA than KBB.. KBB is more a consumer guide.

Low Retail Average Retail High Retail
    Base Price $10,250 $12,175 $13,325
    Mileage
    100,000 miles $525 $525 $525

TOTAL PRICE $10,775 $12,700* $13,850

I think they're cool cars... However, for a car that is still an AUTO, and a 10year old german car.. not to mention a *rare* 10yr old german car, I'd have to seriously be in love with the car before I'd think about it..

edit - and if it matters to you, anything that old will be considerably more difficult to finance.

For just a little bit more $$ you're at an M3, or S4.. both much more amusing cars, and equally as expensive.
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    FWIW, more banks go with NADA than KBB.. KBB is more a consumer guide.
    Also most banks will not do a loan on a 10 year old car.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Also most banks will not do a loan on a 10 year old car.
    That's not an issue, but thank you.
    Iain

That's not an issue, but thank you.
    No for you now but what happens when you try and sell the Benz?

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    No for you now but what happens when you try and sell the Benz?
    Hadn't really thought about that. Truth be told, cars usually aren't worth much by the time I'm done with them.
    Iain

Hadn't really thought about that. Truth be told, cars usually aren't worth much by the time I'm done with them.
    I had at least a 4 or 5 buyers on my Corvette that couldn't come up with the funding, it was irritating! Guy who bought it paid cash! :afro:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast