View Poll Results: If you had my tranny problem what would you do?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy a used tranny from Mazda Heaven or equivilent

5 38.46%
  • Replace the defective gear

1 7.69%
  • Pull it and take to a shop for rebuild

6 46.15%
  • other

1 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh No, Tranny is banging like Bambam

Default Oh No, Tranny is banging like Bambam

Tonite after the races I changed my tire/wheels, then went to the store. From a stop light I started in first, then second and bang bang bang b-ang clatter clatter clatter. I changed to third and the sound went away, so I pulled over to see if I still had a cone under the car. Nope. So I started off again, first gear was good, then second and bang bang bang bang clatter clatter clatter. So I limped home, and put it up on ramps to see whats wrong. I'll let you know, I'm hoping the tranny is low on tranny grease, although the previous owner said he had just put in some new Red-Line grease. I went to O'Riley and purchased some Royal Purple, because they didn't have any Moble 1.

Any thoughts as to whats wrong????
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Time to pull the filler plug, then the drain plug and see what falls out...

My guess would be some gear teeth.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Unhappy

Eww. A tooth fell out!

I think it's from 2nd Gear. What would you do? Pull it apart and replace 2nd? Replace the tranny completely? Or, Send it to someone to repair????

It must have happend when I spun out on the finish of my third run
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Didn't you read the FI manual? You're supposed to tear up 3rd gear...

I'd go for a junk yard tranny. Rebuilding it yourself is a pretty tough deal - and probably an expensive one. Having someone else rebuild it is expensive.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Didn't Thornage327 have someone that could rebuild transmissions over here in Ft. Worth?

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Didn't you read the FI manual? You're supposed to tear up 3rd gear...
    But I exersized mechanical empathy ??:

I'll work on getting the tranny out this week after work, then hopefully decide what to do after that.

If I were to buy a junk yard tranny, what do I do with the old one? Sell or give it to the Junk yard or to a tranny shop? I'm pretty certain my wife won't be keen on me storing it in the garage or the back yard.:ncool:

Yeah, Thorage327 mentioned a shop that can do a rebuild for a good price, I just can't find the thread off the top of my head.

I'd have it rebuilt, if you can. Junkyard parts can be iffy, and your car's tranny will see more stress from the power level you've got.

My new junkyard alternator seems to be working fine, but I plan to have the old one rebuilt and keep it as a spare, just in case. If time hadn't been an issue for me getting the car running again, I wouldn't have even considered junkyard parts.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Didn't Thornage327 have someone that could rebuild transmissions over here in Ft. Worth?
    Thanks Mick I found the thread here. That's good info. I even participated in that thread, but forgot all about it.

If you want to replace just the gears, I can talk to my brother and see what he can get them for... He manages a tranny repair shop down in South Texas.

I just need to know which ones are chewed.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

dang! i thought someones talking about me! i recently went with a mazdaniss heaven used tranny and no complaints! i certainly dont miss the noises the old one makes!
    -AJ Ngo

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to upgrade to a six speed and 3.636 gears.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kags1969
    Sounds like the perfect opportunity to upgrade to a six speed and 3.636 gears.....
    those are the gears I'd like.... Where on earth do you find those anymore??
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

I think that rear end was standard equipment on Aussie Miatas... but I don't think it ever came with a limited slip.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I think that rear end was standard equipment on Aussie Miatas... but I don't think it ever came with a limited slip.
    that's easy enough to fit if you've got to build one, I just haven't foudn anywhere (short of australia) where you can source the ring & pinion.
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

I have a set installed in my RX7 which I bought from Mazdamotorsports when they were offering them. I think you would have to get them out of Austalia if you want them now. Which sucks. The gear set was like 300-400 bucks new, and I had the viscous limited slip rebuilt at the same time.

Chris

I would go to Applied Racing Technology and have them rebuild it. Would be done right and will last long under abuse.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

First FI and 6 speeds don't mix well. You will always be shifting and you now have the power to make the 5 speed more useful. From what I have read 1st 2nd and 3rd are an assembley and I'm not sure you can replace only one gear. I would be willing to bet a rebuild will be costly. If it were me, and it soon will be, I would buy a junker take that one to a good trans shop and let them go over it. I may also be inclined to look into swapping the 5th gear from an RX7 for better hwy drivability. I have read a little about this on miata.net, but don't have all the facts. I have also read that FM has a beefier trans in the works. Either a T5 or beefed up stocker. As for how did this happen? 15 psi my friend
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

I know I don't want a 6spd, as I'm already shifting more than I care to currently. I am interested in a taller 5th gear, so I'll look into that.

Up until today the majority vote was to take it to a shop for a rebuild, or at least an inspection. However, today the votes are much more even.... ? Since polling the audience isn't panning out, maybe I should call a buddy via AT&T (bad ref to WhoWants2Bmillionaire).

I called Cookson in Duncanville today. They quoted me parts and labor to be between $285 to just less than $800, if I bring in the tranny, but only another $110 if I bring them the car and let them pull it. Plus $85 to tow it to Duncanville (don't want to do any more damage).

So I'm planning to have them tow it to the shop, let them tear it down and go from there. If the quote comes in over $600 then I'll bring them a junkyard tranny and have them go over it and install. With any luck I'll be back on the road again by this weekend. Before you attempt to kick me out of TCB, keep in mind, this is my daily driver and I need it. I've got a loaner car, but I'm not really wanting to keep it any longer than possible. This loaner car needs an inspection, an altenator, and who knows what else, but hey it's free, except I'm going to get it inspected and fix the altenator; for their generosity for letting me borrow this peice of crap. I'm afraid to drive the loaner for too long as the repair bills may fast exceed the price of a rental car and/or the price of having the shop do the repairs for me.

the u haul trailer"Auto transporter" (all 4 wheels off the ground) is only $55.00 if you can get a truck to haul it.

A 6 speed with a 3.636 is like a 5 speed with 4.30's w/ an extra gear for top end.....

5mt Rear Final
    1st 3.136 4.300 13.485
    2nd 1.888 4.300 8.118
    3rd 1.330 4.300 5.719
    4th 1.000 4.300 4.300
    5th 0.814 4.300 3.500
    6th

6mt Rear Final
    1st 3.760 3.636 13.671
    2nd 2.269 3.636 8.250
    3rd 1.645 3.636 5.981
    4th 1.257 3.636 4.570
    5th 1.000 3.636 3.636
    6th 0.843 3.636 3.065

This gives you about 20mph top speed increase to around 155ish running 185/60/14's

Chris
    Last edited by Kags1969; 05-17-2005 at 09:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast