Thread: Removing the crank pulley

Default Removing the crank pulley

Is there a trick to removing the center bolt for the crank pulley with the head off?

I put the car in gear with the ebrake on, and all it did was turn the whole tranny and rear wheels. There is not enough room to get the impact wrench in there, or else I'd make short work of it.

Somewhere on the internet I found plans to make a plate that could be bolted to the pulley boss and to the AC mounting bolt that keeps the crank in place to remove and replace the bolt...

Found the link off of miata.net's garage forum.

I sold the plate with the 92 B&T and will see about getting another one made for the 90 spec soon.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I went to Home Depot and got some metal scraps and came up with a triangle with 3 holes to lock the pully to a part of the motor. Seems I've misplaced the contraption or I'd let yah borrow it.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

1.6 or 1.8? I have a tool for the 1.8 that does what is described.

Otherwise, did you try 5th gear? I'd be surprised if you can turn the wheels in 5th.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Great ideas!

I've got a bunch of bar stock in the shed, so I guess that I will fab something tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    1.6 or 1.8? I have a tool for the 1.8 that does what is described.

Otherwise, did you try 5th gear? I'd be surprised if you can turn the wheels in 5th.
    I suspect the 1.6 and 1.8 would be the same. Mine had to come off while at Gary's, and he had the bar laying in a drawer. I don't recall seeing a second bar in there and I also don't think Gary sees many 1.6s... the bar worked fine.