Thread: Rate this 99 FI Miata deal

Default Rate this 99 FI Miata deal

http://www.autonetbroker.com/detail....5/Convertible/

Hope the link works. This is what almost exactly what I would put together to get an FI Miata my way.

What is a 99 R Miata with 35k miles worth, without FI?
    I don't care for the carbon fiber look, or the racing seats, but I do like the color and the wheels...
    I think the price is good considering the cost of the BR monstercharger and the mods...

Didn't someone locally get a BR Performance car directly from BRP? Any info on that price paid?

This car is listed at 12,900 on miata.net.
    SOLD: 92 silver w/hardtop, voodoo, Kosei wheels, pine tree air freshener, and some JR stuff.
    SOLD: 99 silver; the old Goodwin supercharged car with gobs of power and everything else on it.
    SOLD: 95 triple black; stock
    SOLD: 99 black and tan; loaded and clean; just hit 50k miles.
    SOLD: 2006 Copper Mica Red; stock.
    FOR SALE: 2007 Galaxy Grey Grand Touring; stock; 38k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by bigDstars
    http://www.autonetbroker.com/detail....5/Convertible/

Hope the link works. This is what almost exactly what I would put together to get an FI Miata my way.

What is a 99 R Miata with 35k miles worth, without FI?
    I don't care for the carbon fiber look, or the racing seats, but I do like the color and the wheels...
    I think the price is good considering the cost of the BR monstercharger and the mods...

Didn't someone locally get a BR Performance car directly from BRP? Any info on that price paid?

This car is listed at 12,900 on miata.net.
    First, I think the R is bogus, but no big deal. I would guess a low mile STOCK 99 could pull between 8K and 10K on the private seller market. A dealer might be able to squeeze more out of it. BUT...It looks like it has around 6-7k in add-ons. If these are the add-ons that you would do, then great. In reality, they limit the market interested in the car and make it harder to sell. If I liked these add-ons, I would value them at about 30% of retail, or $2k. With all that said, I see this car pulling $10k-12k, but taking a while to sell. 12.9 is a fair starting point. Offer 10k and barter from there.

Kags had his TURBO installed at BRP... I don't think anyone has gone all the way out there for a SC. No reason really, as Track Dog Racing is located in Plano. Gary sells, installs, and tunes BRP superchargers all day long.

One thing to note... This car has the un-intercooled version. I would recomend upgrading it if you ever want to take it to the track around here. I hear it's like Egypt Hot in Texas!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    First, I think the R is bogus, but no big deal
    OK... there was no R available. Looking at the pics and options, we can tell by the lack of power windows that it doesn't have the Touring Package, Popular Equipment Package, or Leather Package. IT says that it has Power Steering, and I thought that Power Steering was not included on the Sports Package. It does have the Nardi wheel though so perhaps PS was available on the Sport? Altiain? It could be a Power Steering Package with Air conditioning as an option and the NArdi added later. What really throws me though is that it says Cruise Control. This would need the Popular Equipment Package. Is that an aftermarket CC on the column?

I remember Kags deal. IIRC, there was another BRP car, previously owned by BRP that was purchased and brought back here... I don't remember if I read about it here on on the pointy board....
    SOLD: 92 silver w/hardtop, voodoo, Kosei wheels, pine tree air freshener, and some JR stuff.
    SOLD: 99 silver; the old Goodwin supercharged car with gobs of power and everything else on it.

I remember Kags deal. IIRC, there was another BRP car, previously owned by BRP that was purchased and brought back here... I don't remember if I read about it here on on the pointy board....
    You are thinking of IPRESS. His car was Brian Goodwin's and had the BRP kit on it.

EDIT: IS this the post you were remembering?
    Well now I have done it (The Darkside)

Yes, that was the post. I was wrong on where it came from though....

Something to ask... does he have the original seats too? Those racing seats might be great for the track but less than ideal for daily driving.

OK... there was no R available.
    Correct.

IT says that it has [font=Verdana]Power Steering, and I thought that Power Steering was not included on the Sports Package. It does have the Nardi wheel though so perhaps PS was available on the Sport? Altiain? It could
    Power steering was not part of the Sport Package - it was a line item option on ALL '99 Miatas... just one that was installed on 99% of the cars that rolled off the line, including the Sports. The factory manual rack in my Sport is actually relatively uncommon, as most of them have a power rack.

The Nardi wheel was included with the Sport Package in '99 - an upgrade from the Base model 4-spoke wheel.

The supercharger isn't intercooled (a must for a car that will see any track use in Texas), the radiator is stock (which means you'll also need to upgrade the radiator - imho - to handle Texas summer track duty), the suspension is stock, the brakes are stock (except for the cheap rotor paint and the cheesy bling rotors that'll probably crack the first time you use them on the track), and the seats are tube-frame Corbeaus, so they aren't particularly high dollar seats (and in my personal experience those seats are great at the track but a pain anywhere else). You'd better hope he's got the stock seats to go along with the car, and I'd toss those death-trap harnesses in his trash can on the way home.

Oh, and it's got the BIG '01+ tupperware rear mud gaurds, with the small side skirts. Fugly.

In my opinion, the only worthwhile upgrades on the car are the wheels (and I'd expect to get the stock wheels with it), the basic supercharger (which is going to need another couple of grand in cooling upgrades to handle Texas track duty), and the roll bar... sans the pipe insulation "padding" he has on there.

I'd offer him ~$10k, knowing that I'd need to spend at least $2k more to bring the cooling package up to spec, and probably another $2k-3k to bring the suspension and brakes up to a comparable level with the power output.

Just my $.02.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

To give you an idea on price, my 99 Sport (Brian Goodwins car) has Bilstien Coilovers, the BRP62 SC with TRD IC, split second controller, big throttle body, extra injector setup, ACT clutch, SSR wheels, Goodwins big breaks setup, new ss midpipe (an extra no cat midpipe) JR header, and rollbar. ( A box of extra parts) all for $12K a couple of months ago or so. I may be leaving something out, but Gary might remember what was on it before he worked on it better then me. I agree with the others... you need the IC down here in Texas. With all that said, it is worth almost double to see the looks on peoples faces when you get a little boost!

Well, it can't be to bad of a car as it has our Track Dog Racing air splitter on it. Biggest problem I see with the car is it looks like Iain's car!

I couldn't resist.... Reading about it looks like this was an older gentleman's car that was used as a Sunday car and was not used any if ever for track use. I say this because it has the earlier version of the MP62 and no intercooler. He would have learned real early that the hot air produced would limited him to maybe 3 laps on a track or perhaps a 60 second autocross run. Looking at the pulley I would say he is running about 6 PSI, which would be good for a little street race playing only. So more show than go.

It has the ACT clutch so he did prepare it right for the added boost. There is a JR knock sensor in the glove box, which is good. He is using a Powercard for fuel management, which is the base fuel management setup. Using a stock radiator so again no hard driving.

I actual think his price of $12,900 is a great price for what he has added and for the condition it is in, $12,500 would be a steal. Offering lower than that is an insult! Again it looks like this car was more show than go.

Now what would it take to upgrade it? Well, you would need an additional fuel injector $500, TDR A/A intercooler $1,100, radiator upgrade $400 to get you at a good power level say, 215 HP. This is of course if you do all the work.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

The antenna is on THE WRONG SIDE!!!!!!!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Really Merv, I noticed that too. I wonder if that was a CB antenna?

Gary
    www.trackdogracing.com

I had to go look again, looks like he replaced the remote antenna with a fixed antenna and they are on the left side on the M2.

Gary
    www.trackdogracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by shuhart1
    I had to go look again, looks like he replaced the remote antenna with a fixed antenna and they are on the left side on the M2.

Gary
    Hmmm.... If it HAD a power antenna, that may kill the theory that it was a Sport.. ALTIAIN???

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Hmmm.... If it HAD a power antenna, that may kill the theory that it was a Sport..
    All the M2 antennas (even fixed ones) are on the left side of the car. It has the STB, trunk-lid spoiler, and no power windows. All signs of a Sport. (Though the trunk lid appears to have been replaced)