Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So... Who wants to stripe my car? :)

Default So... Who wants to stripe my car? :)

I make a run up to the Grapevine area about once every month or so to visit my sisters.. Well it just so happens that I've decided to stripe my car, but as luck would have it, I don't trust anybody around here to do it. So I had a thought. Since I'll be moving up there soon (before the end of the year if all goes well) I figured I could get the striping done along with meeting some of you guys. I'm sure a lot of you know what you're doing but I'm terrified of creating my own stripes (I gave up trying to put decals on plastic models YEARS ago).

So I'll tell ya what...

If you're trustworthy enough and I can get some positive feedback about your striping skills, I'll purchase all the stuff necessary to do the deed (I need to know what to get) and when you're done I'll buy you dinner and give you a little extra for your trouble.

Anybody in? We could make it a little mini-meet....

If you're interested let me know so we can set up a date!

What I'm trying to do is basically one of these

Either white or silver, whichever looks best

If this post seems a little haphazard, sorry, this just popped into my head

Thanks guys!!
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

I have no experience striping a car, but I love the stripes in the bottom pic you posted. I plan on striping my miata like that when I get one, Red over black. I would like to come and check it out. Just give a time and date.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

and Im glad you posted this, I was wondering what a miata would look like with the type of stripes in the bottom pic.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Here's a bigger pic:

Personally I like the 2nd and 3rd pics the best. I'd like some input on which color would look better... I think silver would be awesome on the 3rd stripes (the above pic).

After I get a style bar I'll look pretty good
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Thanks, I was about to ask for that. I love those stripes.

There's mine... Gunmetal Grey Metallic on a 2003 Splash Green Mica. I put the badge back on the nose since those four little holes came through the vinyl.

Pro Tape Signs & Graphics in Carrollton did mine. Wasn't cheap, but they do good work.

BTW: The dirty trailer in the background is for sale

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I'd go with the guy who did Tailchaser's car...

more PICS HERE.

I believe it was done by Pro-Tape - LINK
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Yup... same place that did mine.

I would recommend you stop off at Track Dog Racing and get an air splitter. That's the black thing under the nose of my car (see pic in the above post...)

It will help keep the lower part of the nose (and any stripes on it) intact.

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey
    Here's a bigger pic:

Personally I like the 2nd and 3rd pics the best. I'd like some input on which color would look better... I think silver would be awesome on the 3rd stripes (the above pic).

After I get a style bar I'll look pretty good
    Hey that's SHARKA! His name is Adam and that's his wife's M2. They're friends of my dad's.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    Hey that's SHARKA! His name is Adam and that's his wife's M2. They're friends of my dad's.
    I was wondering whose NB that was - Sharka is good friends with Tommy Reynolds on the board, and I thought that was his car for a second.

I've helped to install stripes on a couple of cars before. It isn't hard work, but it is tedious, and requires a lot of patience. I'd probably be willing to help out, depending on when you plan on doing it.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Adam came to MSR 2, but we haven't been able to get him back here since. I actually met him before my dad did, but now they do tech days all time out there. If Tommy Reynolds is an autox junkie, I'm met him several times too. I know him as Tom, and he and my dad spend WAY too much time together.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey
    Here's a bigger pic:

Why would someone go to the trouble to stripe a Miata and then put the Toilet Bowl Lid Mazda logo back on the front (and presumably the back) of the car? tailchaser's version - sans Toilet Bowl Lid - looks fantastic. One of these days, I'll have mine done at ProTape too...

"That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    Why would someone go to the trouble to stripe a Miata and then put the Toilet Bowl Lid Mazda logo back on the front (and presumably the back) of the car? tailchaser's version - sans Toilet Bowl Lid - looks fantastic. One of these days, I'll have mine done at ProTape too...

Most likely because of what CM said:
    I put the badge back on the nose since those four little holes came through the vinyl.

The emblem on Adam's car is the vintage Mazda emblem. Toilet bowls were 93-97, everything else used nothing or the wings.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Most likely because of what CM said:
    I put the badge back on the nose since those four little holes came through the vinyl.
    Ahhhh, good point... better an emblem that little holes. Still, I like tc's clean look, and I hope when I stripe the Kestrel Racer, they can rid me of those logos :cool:
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

I couldn't decide which forum to put this in, sorry about that :)

I also know a couple of guys who have painted their stripes on but don't know the pros and cons. Any ideas? I think I may go with the 3rd pic, in white.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

since you will be putting stripes over it anyways, just get some body filler and fill in the little holes before installing the stripes.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Can I get a rough idea of how much Pro Tape charged for the stripes?
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

IIRC it was around 430... I wanted it wrapped from under the front chin, over the hood, the windshield header, trunk lid, spoiler, and down the back - under the license plate and under the rear bumper cover. Basically a full wrap from front to back. The more vinyl you use the more it costs.

I would HIGHLY suggest a Track Dog Racing air splitter to protect the front if you have it wrapped under the chin.

RJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast