Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TXU to raise rates 24%

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Uh, the Dept. of Homeland Security won't let you build your own reactor.

I think it's getting close to the time of doing a TCB style windmill for generating power Sell the excess back to the grid so you can bank up and have some to use when the wind dies down.

It would be funny to see someone try to build a reactor! I bet there'd be all kinds of G-Men swarming down on their house.

RJ
    Oh yeah... by the way, for all the Fed eavesdroppers, it was sarcasm aimed at the cost of electrical power.

Zealous bastards...

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    An interesting side note... I am not sure if this is related to Kalifornia power regulation or if it comes out of Washington, but in CA you can set up your own energy generation on your property (solar, wind, etc) and it can be set up to send your un-used electricity back into the power company grid. The electric company is required to by it from you at set rates weather they want to or not.
    That's it!! Home owners association be damned!! I'm putting in one of those mega-blade-fan-wind-powered generators you see in the Kalifornia countryside!

By the way... the Google ad in the corner: Wholesale Wind Generators!!! Hehehehe...

onething, thanks for taking the time to explain a little bit about how the electricity business works.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    My portfolio could have used a nice boost like that! Where were you with this info for your friends???
    Learning how not to move into Martha Stewart's recently vacated cell. Ever heard of insider trading? IF I had known, I couldn't tell, but I am a lowly mushroom.

Hey - I had no idea what was going to happen. If I had, I would have sold the Miata and bought stock @ 11. I know several who did and sold when it hit $30. Boy are the steamed now. I dumped mine @ 96. It peaked at over 116 and is 103, down 4.54 today.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

That's it!! Home owners association be damned!! I'm putting in one of those mega-blade-fan-wind-powered generators you see in the Kalifornia countryside!

By the way... the Google ad in the corner: Wholesale Wind Generators!!! Hehehehe...
    My senior Design Project dealt with designing and building a solar-powered residential pool heating system. We used direct thermal heating panels, instead of expensive photovoltaic cells, but we still needed a huge (around 500 square feet of panel) and relatively expensive array to provide the necessary energy to effectively heat the pool.

Still, I have considered using something similar to augment my hot water heater at home. Heating 100 gallons to 120 degrees will require a whole lot less energy - and a much smaller array - than heating 20,000 gallons to 80 degrees.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Here you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    An interesting side note... I am not sure if this is related to Kalifornia power regulation or if it comes out of Washington, but in CA you can set up your own energy generation on your property (solar, wind, etc) and it can be set up to send your un-used electricity back into the power company grid. The electric company is required to by it from you at set rates weather they want to or not.
    In Texas too. Not many individuals are doing it, but there are manufacturing plants that have built co-gen units to recycle the steam they are making. Already had the steam, they may as well spin a generator with it and save some money.

Go get yourself a Honda generator and let me know how things work out.

As for wind; TXU Energy is a partner in the huge windmill farm on both sides of I20 in west Texas.

Nukes are a regulatory nightmare. Ask me sometime and I'll recount my many memoirs.
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    My senior Design Project dealt with designing and building a solar-powered residential pool heating system. We used direct thermal heating panels, instead of expensive photovoltaic cells, but we still needed a huge (around 500 square feet of panel) and relatively expensive array to provide the necessary energy to effectively heat the pool.

Still, I have considered using something similar to augment my hot water heater at home. Heating 100 gallons to 120 degrees will require a whole lot less energy - and a much smaller array - than heating 20,000 gallons to 80 degrees.
    Did you have to do an environmental impact study on what that 500 square feet of panel was doing to the little critters in your back yard? That's what happens when you try to do it on a larger scale.

The things that aren't cost effective today will be when fossil fuel goes away - or we get tired of the fringe benefits.

That's it!! Home owners association be damned!!
    What's that? Is that something you have up in southern Oklahoma?

And what the hell are these Google ads you guys keep talking about? Am I supposed to have those too?

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    What's that? Is that something you have up in southern Oklahoma?

And what the hell are these Google ads you guys keep talking about? Am I supposed to have those too?

S.
    Only the guys with , , and can see the ads!

Should be ads by google in the upper right hand corner of every page, it's a way to help subsidize this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    In Texas too. Not many individuals are doing it, but there are manufacturing plants that have built co-gen units to recycle the steam they are making. Already had the steam, they may as well spin a generator with it and save some money.
    Tenaska III in Paris, TX, is like that... They generate electricity and pipe the steam over to Campbell's Soup to cook with. Nice way of doing business together.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    mode on:
    mode off
    Yep, that's what I said... only you said it better! My dad worked for Virginia Electric and Power Company (Vepco) for his entire career, so I heard a lot about the industry. A couple of clarifying/expanding points:
    • While onething is right about the "community ice chest" analogy -- everyone shares the same electrons -- the Power Producing company does know how many of those electrons were produced by which kind of generation source. They also know the cost per electron (well, cost per kilowatt) to produce each electron, and have to divulge this in detail to the regulators. That's how the regulators know the "cheap rates" from the "expensive rates", and can decide within that range what cost the Power Producer can recover from the co-ops.
    • onething is also correct that the regulatory agencies typically force the Power Producer to sell to co-ops at a very low rate. This is suppose to encourage competition. What it really does is artificially lower the cost for co-ops and their customers, forcing the Power Producer's customer to pay more (hey, the cost is the cost... someone has to pay). The "saving grace" is suppose to be that these regulated price breaks for the co-ops is supposed to be short-term. Uh huh...
    CEO's the world over get obscene amounts of money in bonus payments, mostly tied to stock price performance. I'm actually OK with that, except that I'd like to see these bonuses tied to real, long-term performance -- say, the stock price increases over a 5 year period -- instead of a 1 year stock price increase. There are lots of short-term (and short-sited) things a company can do to make things look great today... but that will destroy the company's profitablilty in the long-term.
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    COLOR=navy]CEO's the world over get obscene amounts of money in bonus payments, mostly tied to stock price performance. I'm actually OK with that, except that I'd like to see these bonuses tied to real, long-term performance -- say, the stock price increases over a 5 year period -- instead of a 1 year stock price increase. There are lots of short-term (and short-sited) things a company can do to make things look great today... but that will destroy the company's profitability in the long-term.[/COLOR]
    It would be nice if they would invest some of the profits back into the company to help control costs, as well as giving their employees some compensation for all the work they do to maximize performance as well as profits!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    It would be nice if they would invest some of the profits back into the company to help control costs, as well as giving their employees some compensation for all the work they do to maximize performance as well as profits!
    Bwahahaha!

That's a good one!

The day corporate America thinks about and rewards their employees will be a cold day in hell.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    Bwahahaha!

That's a good one!

The day corporate America thinks about and rewards their employees will be a cold day in hell.
    We tend to do it in the world of small businesses but your correct the big corporate entities tend to focus on short term performance rather than long term existence.....

We have been around for 20 years! And the future looks good! :cool:

Big business can't make long term plans and not piss off shareholders that want quick turn around on their investment. Frankly, I'm willing to wait as long as they can make a long term profit plan that works best for all involved.

We tend to do it in the world of small businesses but your correct the big corporate entities tend to focus on short term performance rather than long term existence.....

We have been around for 20 years! And the future looks good! :cool:
    Congrats!!

By the way, I have yet to PayPal you for the CNC turret press I picked up last week.

Congrats!!

By the way, I have yet to PayPal you for the CNC turret press I picked up last week.
    Ha Ha Sparky I did actually just get a pretty decent size tooling order and the customer did pay us using PayPal!

Ha Ha Sparky I did actually just get a pretty decent size tooling order and the customer did pay us using PayPal!

So do you have Vinnie and Guido ready to non-payers?

Default TXU - 24% aint so bad?

I heard it on the radio earlier, and then I found the site. Your natural gas bill will increase as much as 90% in the coming months.

Atmos News Release

For the first time in over a decade, I own a home that is not Total Electric

As I mentioned earlier, the TXU increase was due to fuel costs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast