Thread: I am so flippin pissed!

Default I am so flippin pissed!

I went to wash my car today. Pretty much the first thorough time since the ice storm. I told some of you about the sand truck that was on the shoulder and right as I was about to pass he turned on the sand and blasted my car. Well with all the dirt and water I couldn't see any damage. Well after washing my car today I noticed all down the passenger side the car looks like total ash. It is horrible. It looks like the nose of a car that has done 200K miles. Paint chips all down the side of the car about a 6inch stripe. I am so mad, I can barely type, but my main question is do you guys think I have any recourse? I know you hear stories of people getting their suspension fixed when they hit potholes, but is this a similar situation or am I just going to get laughed at? Let me know if you have any ideas on a resolution for this. Other than a grand at the body shop.

FREAKIN' A...! That sucks and my condolences to you. You could try appealing it with the city much like the guys with expensive iForge, HRE, misc. wheels being cracked or shattering from unfixed potholes or crappy roads, but no guarantees of them being willing to pay for the paint job...

Best of luck to you and finding a resolution that doesn't involve shattering your wallet.
    November 12, 2005 - A new beginning
    Devil: 1999 Brilliant Black NB - Base Edition - Stock Spec

AIM ID: ZeroXR13mg
    http://zeroxr.com

Take lots of pictures. It's pretty hard for that type of damage to happen other than your situation. Good luck!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Reference your original post when you go. That will help document when it happened.

Good luck.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

That blows! I'd start with the street department and see if you get any satisfaction from them. If not, start asking for supervisors and work your way up the chain.

sorry to hear that Majik, that really sux...I hope you can get it fixed.
    99 Miata Black

It will more than likely take some repetative nagging but you should be able to get that taken care of. A friend had a similar experience where construction truck dropped stuff in front of him. Was a pita but he eventually got it paid for. Good luck.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Irrc most have a sign on the back that say "stay back 100 feet or do not pass when spreading" If so you may be sol.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Quote Originally Posted by Ataim
    Irrc most have a sign on the back that say "stay back 100 feet or do not pass when spreading" If so you may be sol.
    wasn't taking about a dunp truck, but I believe those signs have no legal basis if you pursue it...& can prove it
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    wasn't taking about a dunp truck, but I believe those signs have no legal basis if you pursue it...& can prove it
    Well go ahead and tell us how...

Quote Originally Posted by Ataim
    Those signs don't mean sh!t. They're just trying to scare people into not suing. I could put a bumpersticker on my Miata that says "Stay back 500 feet. Not responsible for broken windshields." But if I'm tossing beer bottles out of the car, I'm still liable. Wishing does not make it so.

Now, if it's a government vehicle, they might have governmental immunity, but that's a different issue.

S.

Yep, the only "stay back xxx feet" signs that you have to follow and that have legal support are the ones on emergency vehicles. The instance I was talking about involved paint and such but even if it was a dump truck or whatever, it must contain it's load or be ticketed for falure to contain load. And that law holds for all vehicles, so anyone transporting something, such as moving, has to ensure that nothing comes off and hits the road causing a possible obstruction to traffic.