Thread: A true BIG BRAKE set-up...

Cool A true BIG BRAKE set-up...

That's a 16.5" rotor under a 20" wheel...

Click me for the LINKIE

The braking system of the standard Continental GT already features the largest diameter brake discs of any production passenger car on sale today. The new Continental GT Diamond Series further extends the car’s performance boundaries by using new carbon ceramic brakes, a first for a production Bentley.

Considering how that car will likely be driven, it's like trying to swat a fly with a sledgehammer.

I guess when you pay as much for a car as a really nice home in most neighborhoods you expect to get excessive but I think it's plain silly.

Now if this was a Lambo or a Ferrari I'd say it's cool and justified.

Still the Rappers, Pro-atheletes and Los Angeles Film "royalty" will love it.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

That caliper looks like it isn't covering all the rotor up. I would think that it would extend further towards the hub. Mabye Iain is reading this too. . .
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

I think this is a photochop...... Don't see enough space for the caliper to wrap around the rotor.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Why do they need to get bigger? Why not do as the aircraft brakes and stack the disks and pads to increase the braking effect?
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active
    Why do they need to get bigger? Why not do as the aircraft brakes and stack the disks and pads to increase the braking effect?
    Because people already expect huge wheels on their bling luxury cars these days, and there is more packaging room to go wider in circumference than deeper back from the wheel face. Cooling will play a role in this as well - aircraft brakes are fully exposed to (usually a quite strong) ambient airflow, while automotive brakes are encapsulated within the wheel, which is in turn surrounded by body work.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13
    That caliper looks like it isn't covering all the rotor up. I would think that it would extend further towards the hub. Mabye Iain is reading this too. . .
    Two things to consider:

• You need to provide caliper clearance not only at the rim side of a wheel, but at the hub side as well. Move those calipers much further in, and you'll interfere with where the spokes meet the hub, or have to machine so much material off the back of the spokes that you'll compromise the structural integrity of the hub/spoke connection.
    • Torque is a function of force and distance - the further out from the pivot point or rotational axis, the more effective the applied force. Conversely, the closer the applied force, the less effective. To illustrate, try opening a door by pushing on it 6 inches from the hinge. Now apply the same force to the edge of the door furthest from the hinge. Which one was more effective?
    Last edited by altiain; 03-06-2006 at 02:13 PM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active
    Plus there probably isnt too much of an increase in braking force. I figure most cars these days can lock the tires up. In that case you have more than enough braking force, but not enough traction. The bigger the brakes the better they will disipate heat though.

the drill pattern matches up as outward going arcs on the left half, but goes to a random skewed pattern on the right side above the caliper, I'd say its a photoshop.
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

All this talk of a photoshop job is rediculous.

Just go to Bentley's website.

Is it just me our their site slooow...?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

well then half randomly drilled-half pattern drilled rotors must be the new big thing!

Another pic on their website lines up perfectly, but not that one!
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

Another quick thought: It's not uncommon to upsize rotors without covering the entire rotor with the caliper/pads. It's my understanding that the larger rotor acts as a larger heat-sink and provides more surface area to radiate.

C