Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to buy the SC parts

Default Time to buy the SC parts

After talking with Gary we came up with a game plan that will spread out the pain. My purchases next month will consist of the HD motor mounts and a PPF.

BTW....Gary thinks I am a closet speed freak
    Last edited by Tim the Teacher; 05-22-2006 at 06:08 AM.
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Your wife gave me "permission" standard line of crap really gets old, you want to work on a new routine??

Will she let you wear these next?

Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Yeah, I just need to spend her money and just not ask her.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Teacher
    Yeah, I just need to spend her money and just not ask her.
    How about not telling us every single freaking time you need funding!

Sorry...I didn't know it was offensive. I have been wanting to to do this since I bought the car and was just sharing some excitement.

Sorry...I didn't know it was offensive. I have been wanting to to do this since I bought the car and was just sharing some excitement.
    Lets review.
    Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Your wife gave me "permission" standard line of crap really gets old, you want to work on a new routine??
    We are all excited for ya but less wife more parts please!

I have to wonder about your choice of starting with the motor mounts and a PPF. These tend to be optional items that are added after the supercharger. Could it be that you are just dying to do something, and you know that these items are hidden from the boss's site?

Are the motor mounts and PPF necessary? I was told by Gary that these two items will give you a little peace of mind because of the strain. The car is an '03 that will probably have close to 45K on it when the install takes place. I want these purchases to be for parts that will be absolutely needed and not for something that is optional but nice to have. I can't afford what it would take to get the car up to 230rwp. I would be happy at around 200.

The OEM motor mounts are pretty weak! A few folks around here have changed them out and found the OEM's broke!

What exactly is a PPF??

The motor mounts are the Mazdaspeed ones which are supposedly stronger and here is the link to the PPF
    http://www.trackdogracing.com/websit...ension.htm#ppf

The motor mounts are the Mazdaspeed ones which are supposedly stronger and here is the link to the PPF
    http://www.trackdogracing.com/websit...ension.htm#ppf
    Is that PPF really a must have part (especially with the way you drive)?? How big of a blower are you planning??

Yep TC added the Mazdaspeed mounts to his car cool stuff!

I changed both parts out on mine, when we took the motor mounts out one was cracked and seperating and the other was bent.
    from TDR site:
    "The PPF Power Kit helps the Miata power train and chassis work together for a car that is tighter, more positive, more connected. The PPF Power Kit improves Mazda Miata power train performance by strengthening weak areas and reducing unwanted movement and vibration. The PPF Power Kit controls power train pitch, yaw and roll, creating a more stable platform for power delivery to the rear wheels."

It keeps things from getting bent under torque.
    Last edited by Billy Blaze; 05-22-2006 at 08:32 AM. Reason: blah
    99 Miata Black

I could really tell a difference in the motor mounts, with my motor running so crapy when I cranked the car in the morning I could have blended a smoothie after i got the motor mounts.
    99 Miata Black

I think the PPF would be a prudent purchase as once I have the install done my driving style may change. I do push the car now on the street but not "all" the time. The plan is to purchase the "new" supercharger that Gary will have in 4-6 months. I am not sure whether it will be another BRP product or something of his own design.

I think the PPF would be a prudent purchase as once I have the install done my driving style may change. I do push the car now on the street but not "all" the time. The plan is to purchase the "new" supercharger that Gary will have in 4-6 months. I am not sure whether it will be another BRP product or something of his own design.
    It will not be a BRP product.

I don't have the PPF, and I am running on 14 year old motor mounts. When at Gary's one day, he commented that my mounts are likely dead. He then rocked my motor side to side and admitted that they seemed to be fine. I don't know if this is a difference between NA and NB mounts, but that is my experience. I am sure that I will replace them at some point, but they are down a ways on the list. I have no plans to get the PPF upgrade, as I have seen more than one 400hp+ Miatas that didn't have it and didn't see the need for it. If someone does plan on installing one on an NA Miata, I would like to help with the install to feel any before and after change. I need to see it to believe it, otherwise it is just added weight. Mazda has added a lot of various bracing to the cars through the years, but they never felt the need to touch the PPF. YMMV.

Keep in mind that the 01-up has a slightly higher compression ratio so be careful of how much boost you give it... Gary will know all of this though... you might not...RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

What about a the clutch/flywheel combo? Is the flywheel a neccesary?

From what I have read I shouldn't go any higher than 11 with a stock engine.

What about a the clutch/flywheel combo? Is the flywheel a neccesary?

From what I have read I shouldn't go any higher than 11 with a stock engine.
    A lot of folks do the clutch/flywheel combo in order to go net-zero on the weight. Beefier clutches have more rotating mass than stock clutches. If you reduce the weight of the flywheel by the same amount.... well... you get the picture.

OTOH, enough clutch to handle the modest power increase you're looking for won't weigh much more than the OEM clutch, so you shouldn't need to do anything but the clutch.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast