Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how do you find a short with the multimeter

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    ...or you could park it on I820, across from Hiley Mazda.......

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    btw, did I mention that this totally sucks?
    The problem or all the help you're getting here? Please be specific . . .
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

just double checked...the horn does work. Atleast when I get out of work today, its like the most perfect day to have car issues. So nice outside.
    OK...

Horn and brake lights share the same fuse... So you have brake lights but no tail lights?

The Tail fuse powers many things in the car... It runs the front park lights, rear park lights, front & rear side marker lights, panel lights control switch (ac/heater switch lights), the ashtray light (Have you removed the console lately and pinched a wire?), the light on the radio, AND the ECU pin 1U.

A short on any of these will cause the problem.

What have you done on the car lately? Have you installed a radio? Miswiring that light wire to ground would blow the fuse when you turned on the lights. I did that once years ago on a Ford Fiesta (the 1980 model, not the newer tin can from Korea)...

Raymond
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=198601

Have you done any of the things the fine folk on Miata.net have recommended?

Tons of good information on that post!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    OK...

Horn and brake lights share the same fuse... So you have brake lights but no tail lights?

The Tail fuse powers many things in the car... It runs the front park lights, rear park lights, front & rear side marker lights, panel lights control switch (ac/heater switch lights), the ashtray light (Have you removed the console lately and pinched a wire?), the light on the radio, AND the ECU pin 1U.

A short on any of these will cause the problem.

What have you done on the car lately? Have you installed a radio? Miswiring that light wire to ground would blow the fuse when you turned on the lights. I did that once years ago on a Ford Fiesta (the 1980 model, not the newer tin can from Korea)...

Raymond
    I have done nothing to the car since may. I have an aftermarket radio,but the illumination wire is capped and taped, and double checked today. The interior is pretty much removed, and every inch of wire is exposed, and in good condition. I unplugged the tail lights, front lights, side lights, plate lights, and unplugged the cluster. I put the fuse in, then added each light one by one...and everything works again.

I drove it arround for a few miles and it still has not blown. I don't really know what to do next. All the wire looks clean, and everything works temporarily.

meh, this is frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Ah... wiring problems... good times, good times...
    Its funny, VW is known for hellacious electrical apocalyptic catastrophes, but strong mechanicals. I kept blowing transmissions in it but never had an electrical problem aside from sensors blowing out. Then I get the miata because I'm tired of working on the vw, and now I have electrical problems.

I guess I can just make the miata my day car, and fix the vw and drive it at night.

Its funny, VW is known for hellacious electrical apocalyptic catastrophes...
    Funny thing is I was talking about my Miata...

And yes, the VW has it's issues as well.

Its funny, VW is known for hellacious electrical apocalyptic catastrophes, but strong mechanicals. I kept blowing transmissions in it but never had an electrical problem aside from sensors blowing out. Then I get the miata because I'm tired of working on the vw, and now I have electrical problems.

I guess I can just make the miata my day car, and fix the vw and drive it at night.
    Try FIAT X1/9

After that, all others are a walk in the park.

If it wasn't the electrical, it was the brakes.
    If it wasn't the brakes, it was the fuel filter.
    If it wasn't the fuel filter it was the distributor.
    If it wasn't the distributor, it was the transaxle.

Man, I wished that car would have gotten stolen.
    Glad I don't have it anymore. I found a sucker to take it from me.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

I should show infinit resistance when contacting each side of the fuse terminal with the probes right? Then, when I find the deadshort, and eliminate it, I should see a +-50ohm value right?

I can't seem to find my short in the "tail" circuit. I guess I will just start taking the car apart and look for a jacked up red/blk wire right?

and thanks for help.

Just for reference since the thread has drifted.

If anyone has a schematic diagram, it would be very helpful to find the root cause. If I recall right(and I may be way out there on this since it was over 10 years ago), when I installed my moms aftermarket radio in the 91 Miata that she had, I was blowing tail light fuses after using one of the Metra radio wiring harnesses. I came to the conclusion that the ground on the factory radio harness did not supply the necessary power needed for the accessory and main power and was able to resolve her issue.

If you had all of the tail lights out and the horn or what ever else is listed on the fuse in the manual disconnected, I would find out which side of the fuse teminals is hot and not. Then I would take the dead side terminal, after I took all of the lights out of the circuit and whatever else and touch the oher end to a good ground. If it is anything but infinite(or less that in the 10k range of resistance which can be picked up through your skin), there are either other things attached to the circuit, or there is a bare wire.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12