Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: paint job

Default paint job

Hi folks, I just got my hard top yesterday and I'm considering putting on a fresh coat of red paint for the car and the top. The clearcoat on my hood and door is peeling and the car has its share of dings and scuffs.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good and reasonably priced paint/body shop in the Plano area? Has anyone ever had a maaco job?

How much should I expect to spend for a decent paint job?

Thanks.

Welcome to the group!

I think 3-Bean is looking in to getting his car painted... maybe he'll chime in with where he's been looking.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

For some reason I have it in my head that quality resprays are around $3k.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    I think 3-Bean is looking in to getting his car painted... maybe he'll chime in with where he's been looking.
    I believe the current stage of Bean's project could better be described as thinking about looking for a place to paint his collection of parts.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by 1966 View Post
    Has anyone ever had a maaco job?
    Yeah, years ago when I was young and stupid. Had them paint my '83 RX-7 Limited. Between mixing the paint to the wrong color (when did 'champagne silver' become 'mint green'?) and removing the spoiler by prying it off instead of simply loosening the two easy access bolts that held it on, I would have to say that I would rather shave my entire body with a dull razor and bathe in lemon juice before I set foot in another Maaco shop again.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey of Death View Post
    Yeah, years ago when I was young and stupid. Had them paint my '83 RX-7 Limited. Between mixing the paint to the wrong color (when did 'champagne silver' become 'mint green'?) and removing the spoiler by prying it off instead of simply loosening the two easy access bolts that held it on, I would have to say that I would rather shave my entire body with a dull razor and bathe in lemon juice before I set foot in another Maaco shop again.
    You had an '83 Limited? Coool!
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    You had an '83 Limited? Coool!
    Thanks! I loved that car. Sometimes I still miss her...

This was taken before the Maaco incident, BTW

Frisco Paint and Body on Main street

Cool car Monkey!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Bummer, did the Maaco thing in 1985 in Plano. Paint was peeling before the month was out. I had it totally taken down to the metal and was vey disapointed. The color was supposed to be that GM pearl Red that they were using on the Camaros and Corvetes. Turned out standard maroon.

Ed's paint and body allen was able to match the paint on my moms 91 miata to a tee when she had it in 3 times. Two fender benders in a parkinglot while she wasn;t around and one red hard top changed to white.

My next door neighbor had his former red truck fender repaired and repainted and the paint matched so well, he even had the same GM orange peel effect. Other work he has done, you could see a sheet of glass effect. Just depends on what the paint looks like from the factory.

Don't go to Service King or Ted Prohaska, Especially Plano.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Thanks for the info. I'll call both Frisco Paint & body and Ed's Body Shop (Is he the one on W Belmont in Allen?) and get quotes for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    Any reason? I'm just wondering.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    Please elaborate... Also... there are a couple Service King's in Plano... at least one of which has done outstanding paint work for me for collision damage repair...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

The Service King at Spring Creek charged the insurance company full price for a Mazda Factory fender when my Mom told them she would not accept an aftermarket part. They installed the aftermarket fender on the car and oversprayed the window trim left the tape on the door and told her they put original equipment on the car as per her request. She took it to the insurance guy who verified that it was not an original equipment part. They replaced it, but left her without her car for over a month in total.

Quote Originally Posted by 1966 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'll call both Frisco Paint & body and Ed's Body Shop (Is he the one on W Belmont in Allen?) and get quotes for the job.
    He's the one behind(east of) the Exxon on the street North of Mc Dermot in Allen. I don't remember the name of the street.

Edit: Yes it is Belmont. I don't pay attention to those street names too often. Lived in Allen too long I guess(i.e. Go past Bob's place and hang a left at joe's house). Lived in Allen when it only had 2300 people.
    Last edited by Radio-Active; 09-22-2006 at 08:29 PM.

Are there any body shops in Arlington/Grand Prarie South Dallas area that you-all like?
    To do list: carpet X1, seatcovers X1

97' Green M Edition

▄︻┻┳═一

The Srvice Kings I used last couple of times were bad. They used non-OEM parts and told me the insurance companies did not pay for OEM. Overspary and "runs" were everywhere. Don't business with them if you can!
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by pliablemoose View Post
    Are there any body shops in Arlington/Grand Prarie South Dallas area that you-all like?
    I'm with pliablemoose. My 10AE got crashed..lightly, but crashed nonetheless and I live near Arlington/Grand Prairie. Any good paint/body shops close to there???

Gracias....
    i need a better phrase...

I use Noah's Paint and Body in S. Arlington (off of Harris Rd)... He resprayed the front half of my silver 91 (actually was only supposed to be about 3/4 of the front, but he did the other pieces free). His prices are great, sometimes it takes a little while to get the work done due to his work load at various times, but I've always been happy with the quality of his work.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast