Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Early Musical Influences

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    I was listening to the Zoo in Waco when it quit playing rock back around Christmas in 1989. Weak signal, but beter than any of the Waco stations.
    Walter!!! You're Walter from Waco

C'mon say it - say it - "LaLaLaBella?"

John Labella is/was my all time favorite DJ, not counting Steve Lundy
    Last edited by onething; 01-20-2007 at 01:05 PM.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Walter!!! You're Walter from Waco
    Forgot about those guys (and Walter from Waco too)...LaBella and Roadie were the Zoo DJ's in Dallas.

But do you remember when KZEW was progressive country? Early 70's before they went rock. That's where I first heard London Homesick Blues as performed by that great Texan wannabe, Jerry Jeff Walker and written of course, by Jerry P. Nunn.
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Thought you might enjoy this!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

that great Texan wannabe, Jerry Jeff Walker and written of course, by Jerry P. Nunn.
    You mean that Jerry Jeff is not a Texan? I think that Gary P. Nunn wrote London Homesick Blues.

I was into the Texas music scene in the early '70's, way after high school. Other names of the period, Willis Allen Ramsey, Steven Fromholtz, Travis Holland and Farrah Fawcett. Oh wait, she did something else.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    Mad_monkey sent me a PM and asked if I could reply for him. He said he was emarassed to say that his influences were mainly Britney and the Spice girls.
    Hahahaha. Nice.

But do you remember when KZEW was progressive country? Early 70's before they went rock. That's where I first heard London Homesick Blues as performed by that great Texan wannabe, Jerry Jeff Walker and written of course, by Jerry P. Nunn.
    That would have been before I had control of the radio dial. I remember my Mom and Dad always using KZEW as the station to tell them that Texas was getting close as they got around the Arbuckles. KZEW had the strongest signal of all of the FM stations.

[Drift on:/] My Moms car, a 1972 Datsun 1200, had a factory AM/FM(monual) radio by Hitachi. My Dad had a 1971 Datsun 1200, which he purchased from my Uncle, with only a aftermarket AM radio. My Father spent the extra money and purchased a AM modulated FM radio adapter that set under the dash on the pasengers side.
    [Drift on:/] Incedentally; 1972 was the year that the Fasten Seatbelt warning light and buzzer was required by law. My Dads 1971 Datsun did'nt have the buble on top of the center of the dash, whereas my Moms 1972 Dastun did. [/Drift off][/Drift off]

I remember, vaguely, hearing Walter from Waco every morning, but He was not I. I was in Waco for TSTI from fall 89-Spring 91.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Another cool thread, little late on this one!

My father wasn't quite the ex-hippe rocker but usually listened to the classic rock station so I know a lot of the old rock and also a decent amount of classical music to be well rounded.

U2
    Boston
    Kansas
    Peter Gabriel
    Journey
    Rush
    Genesis
    Phil Collins
    Chicago
    Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    Front 242
    Depeche Mode
    The Cure
    Heart
    Fleetwood Mac
    J.S. Bach (my favourite composer)

Got into Metallic around middle school in mid 90's then was introduced to EDM, chillout, ambient musik my freshman year of high school in 98.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12